• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Standard Vs Glass

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Does anyone want to field this one? I have a feeling that I'm not going to be able to explain it to him.

If you've never done a low level flyby a water tower to find out what town you're near you haven't learned about flying. I got lost on my Private checkride! I almost flew into Mexican airspace. The DPE was a kind man and just discontinued the ride. I went back a couple of weeks later and 'finished' up.

Back to the point. I've never been lost in a glass airplane. I also don't pay as much attention to where I am either. The glass let's you relax which is a good thing. The fact I don't pay as much attention to where I'm at is a bad thing.

Learn on steam guages and graduate to glass as your flying progresses.

From the beginning we set the gps on the ground direct for the home airport. That way the airplane becomes a "kite" with a imaginary string attatched to the airport. So if the student may become uncertain as to where they are simply direct enter enter and follow the pink line to the airport.

That really doesn't do them any bit of good, though. I had a student a couple months ago get lost about 6 miles from the airport. Hey, don't laugh. Northern AZ is pretty sparse in places and the mountains can all look alike if you're not used to it.

Well, I did what any good instructor would do and simply said "get your map out!" We flew around aimlessly for about 30 minutes before he finally got his bearings. When we got back to the airport, we had a good discussion about the landmarks in the local area and how to identify the airport from a distance. He got horribly lost, and it both freaked him out and pissed him off. But by god, he didn't do it again. The next time we went up, he made it his own personal mission to keep track of where we were and how to get back. While he was angry at himself for getting lost that first time, it also instilled the confidence in him that "Hey, I really can get un-lost if I try." That confidence is priceless, in my opinion.

Will the glass cockpit land the plane in winds 20G30? Or help the student with slow flight and stalls?
So the student at Corona in the 152 is wrong for admitting defeat and getting himself on the ground? Granted, he blew his XC, but he learned a valuable lesson that day about pilotage and ded reckoning. Betweent the humiliation and floggings, he's highly unlikely to lose SA ever again. Someone using "Direct To" as his get out of jail free card will never get the opportunity to screw up and learn from his mistakes. The approach that unreal and his student took is far more becoming of good teaching, learning and application of ADM.

Thank god.I thought I was losing it there for a little while.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back