Stalls

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
GoingHot said:
Good advice. Get another instructor. This guy is showing off at your expense.

lol, Actually he didn't first offer to do it himself. He saw how nervous i was and i wasn't even able to quite remember the instructions he was giving me. That's why he was like "you want me to show you one first?".

He's actually fairly good at explaining things for the most part. This is the first time he's actually tried to demonstrate something. Everything else for the most part i've done it on my own.

The higher you pitch up, the more aggresive the nose-down moment on a full stall will be.

Power on attitude 10-12 deg to start. Power off 5 degrees.

Stall, reduce angle of attack, MINIMIZE altitude loss.

It's OK to pitch the nose up really high to learn and have fun. But try the above when you get down to biz.

Did the power off stalls with no problem. I think it was more in my head than it was actually scary. I did power on stalls this week too. I actually like the power on stalls better. Just release pressure and full power. That's it. The fear and anxiety was 100% in my head. But after doing these i found myself more confident with flying the aircraft and looking out the window more instead of wanting to stare at the instruments. I also got better at steep turns.

Alin10123 said:
Hey guys,
I'm a student pilot here working on my PPL. I've got a little over 8 hours in time built up. I dont have too much trouble with pretty much most of my maneuvers. However, today we did stalls. Now... i'm fairly comfortable in the airplane. Today was even a windy/turbulent day up there. I stayed pretty calm during most of that. The part that got to me was the stalls.
One thing that i hate, is the feeling you get in your chest when you dive straight down like you're on a roller coaster. Anybody experience that feeling that i'm talking about? As my instructor was showing me a stall i found myself wanting to scream out and looking for an "oh sh*t" handle as if i was on a roller coaster.
It's not stick to my stomache. But sort of like when someone in the passenger seat of your car is reaching for the "OH SH*T" handle. Sort of like your heart is about to jump out of your chest. Man... i HATE that feeling. I sort of wish i dont have that feeling. That way i could do stalls all day.

Anyways... how did you guys all do on your first stalls? Did any experience anything similar to this? What did you guys do to overcome the feeling? Or to ease you up into it?
If you find yourself "diving stright down toward the earth" while doing stalls, your instructor is not teaching them properly. Come see me. Stalls should not be something that makes you queezy in the stomach or looking to cling to the aircraft. The should not be violent maneuvers either. Do not be afraid of the stall now or you will never be comfortable with them. If you feel totally comfortable in the aircraft but not while doing stalls, your insructor is doing you a huge injustice. I did a BFR with a student recently who was really uncomfortable when we got around to the part of doing stalls. He asked me "if we had to do them." By the time the BFR was over, he was asking me "if we could do a couple more." I had brought him to the point where he was supposed to be and felt good about doing it for him. I made him a better pilot who was more comfortable with a maneuver that is too often feared. Use a different instructor if the one you have makes you feel scared during these maneuvers. Thats the best advise I can give to you. Good luck with the rest of your rating. Be safe, and have a blast with it. I promise you will.

Hey you people, before you start bad-mouthing, condemning his instructor remember you are reading information from an 8 hour Student Pilot. Let's cut the CFI some slack here until there is some more information.

Flystr8 said:
If you find yourself "diving stright down toward the earth" while doing stalls, your instructor is not teaching them properly. Come see me. Stalls should not be something that makes you queezy in the stomach or looking to cling to the aircraft. The should not be violent maneuvers either. Do not be afraid of the stall now or you will never be comfortable with them. If you feel totally comfortable in the aircraft but not while doing stalls, your insructor is doing you a huge injustice. I did a BFR with a student recently who was really uncomfortable when we got around to the part of doing stalls. He asked me "if we had to do them." By the time the BFR was over, he was asking me "if we could do a couple more." I had brought him to the point where he was supposed to be and felt good about doing it for him. I made him a better pilot who was more comfortable with a maneuver that is too often feared. Use a different instructor if the one you have makes you feel scared during these maneuvers. Thats the best advise I can give to you. Good luck with the rest of your rating. Be safe, and have a blast with it. I promise you will.

kaj837 said:
Hey you people, before you start bad-mouthing, condemning his instructor remember you are reading information from an 8 hour Student Pilot. Let's cut the CFI some slack here until there is some more information.

lol,
Did you two not read my post on the update that i posted today? It said that i did my power off stalls no problem, and i did my power on stalls this week. I had fun doing them in the end. The anxiety and wanting to cling to the aircraft was 100% in my head. Not the instructors fault. I actually did my first solo today too! whoohoo! I've got about 22 hours now.

thanks for everyone's suggestions. What we did was take it slow just like everyone recommended. One to practice what to do to recover but not actually stalling. One time until right before it breaks. Then the final time was doing the actual stall. Then the 4th time was concentrating on controlling the full stall and let it break a little longer while under control before recovery, just to get an idea of spin awareness.

Like i said above, after doing the stalls, i've got 100% more confidence in the handling of the aircraft.

My first stall, I reached forward and yanked back on the yoke when the plane nosed over. I nearly spun it. Since then I've begun to enjoy them. Just wait till you do a cross-control stall. Thats a wierd feeling. Anyways, don't worry about the feeling. You'll do enough that it will go away.

WMUchickenhawk said:
My first stall, I reached forward and yanked back on the yoke when the plane nosed over. I nearly spun it. Since then I've begun to enjoy them. Just wait till you do a cross-control stall. Thats a wierd feeling. Anyways, don't worry about the feeling. You'll do enough that it will go away.

Eeer... isn't that what you're not supposed to do? When it stalls and you yank it back after the stall actually breaks, wont that put the aircraft into a secondary stall?

Alin10123 said:
Eeer... isn't that what you're not supposed to do? When it stalls and you yank it back after the stall actually breaks, wont that put the aircraft into a secondary stall?

yup, but I wasnt ready for it. I had no idea it could be so abrupt. So instinct took over, and I pulled back.

Latest resources

Back