Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Steve

Curtis Malone
When doin stalls in a 152 and a wing "drops" during the stall, should it be "picked up" with the rudder or aileron or both?? Did stalls in a 152 for the first time today and it feels like it wants to drop a wing much more then the 172 I flew earlier in my training. Any tips?

If a wing drops during a stall, it means you were uncoordinated(rudder). Use the rudder to 'pick it back up' during the recovery(along with forward, or at least relaxed pressure, on the yoke).

The bank should be corrected with opposite rudder until the stall has been completely recovered from, at which point you can use aileron.

If you think about it, using opposite aileron will cause the aileron on the low wing to deflect downwards -- this will increase the angle of attack of the low wing, which is already stalled, and the wing will continue to drop.

Keep the airplane coordinated as it slows down. I have a feeling that you are feeding in rudder based on the amount of foot pedal pressure you are used to using in the 172, rather than by what the seat of your pants and the ball are commanding.

If you do have a wing drop at the stall, use rudder, not aileron to correct for it.

Latest resources

Back