• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Stall speed on big airliners?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Minimum clean maneuvering speed at max gross landing weight is right around 258 KIAS. At max landing weight the stall speed will indeed be somewhere in the neighborhood of 200 KIAS. (Never been that slow while clean in the real thing to test it out, but in the sim the shaker will start about then.)

Typical ref speeds (final approach speed) at max landing weight and full flaps is in the 162 to 168 KIAS range, depending on the wind adjustments.

These numbers are for a 747-200.

Basically it all depends on gross weight and altitude. Basic operating weight of the average cargo 747-200 is about 350,000#, add about 45,000# of fuel for just goofing around in the pattern and that gives you a total of 395,000# takeoff weight for a minimum operating conditions. With a max gross structural takeoff weight of 833000# that gives you a possible increase of 2.1 times a minimum operating weight of 390000#. Now you also have a maximum landing weight of 630000# which still represents 1.6 times more weight than your goofing off minimum takeoff weight. So in short your clean manuevering stall speed is going to vary an awful lot just on gross weight alone. There are many other variables involved as well, and we have not even got into the discussion on minimum flap manuevering speeds as well. Pretty much all these parameters as calculated prior to takeoff and landing. There are on the old jurrasic jets little plastic "bugs" that are positioned around the airspeed indicator to note the different speeds.

The 747 is definitely not your father's Cherokee!

Good Luck & Have Fun!

The 747-400 will stall at 205KIAS at 6K, 600,000LBS Gross Weight (A very normal operating weight), and clean. Just ran the numbers in my books.

aeronautic1 said:
... atless than 40 hours in a Cherokee you would like to knows this because? Try figuring it out on your FS simulator and get back to us.

I smell muslim poon.

If you make fun of a rookie long enough, all you get is someone who is hesitent or even somewhat afraid to ask questions because of fear of ridicule. Having someone in the air who is afraid to address gaps in his knowledge, because some all-knowing 3500hr Yeager wannabe busted his balls, is much more dangerous than giving out super-classified, top secret Vs info on the whale.

............as if Vs on a forty year old airliner is a matter of national security, he could probably buy a POH for the whale on ebay

Bjammin said:
The 747-400 will stall at 205KIAS at 6K, 600,000LBS Gross Weight (A very normal operating weight), and clean. Just ran the numbers in my books.

finally a simple answer...didnt convolute it with "it depends" on all sorts of garbage, just give us a ballpark number!

five-alive said:
finally a simple answer...didnt convolute it with "it depends" on all sorts of garbage, just give us a ballpark number!

No kidding. And thanks for those who took a stab at it. I just wanted to get a feel for how the heavy stuff performed compared to the toy airplanes used for primary training. Its amazing that an airliner will actual stall at what is really a very brisk 205kts. I guess they really are built for speed.

Latest resources

Back