St. Maarten (tncm)

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
More info???

Looks like I'll be headed down to TNCM in the next week or so, possibly for 5 to 7 days.:D
Just wanted to hear from those of you with recent knowledeg; where would you recommend the crew stay for that length of time? Looking for a great beach, good night life, and a little (very little) shopping. In that order. Gotta bring something back for the significant other. Appreciate the help.:cool: :cool: :cool:

And Gumby, I don't want to hear any of your bitching. You've been practically living in PBI this winter.:D :p

Last edited:
Saint Maartens

For a short stay I agree that the Maho Beach Resort is a good place to stay. For a longer stay I'd go to the French side and stay at the Le Meridien L'Habittation or the Carribean Princess on Orient Beach. We spent 8 days at the Princess on our last trip down and I almost mutinied when it was time to leave.

GV

Can TLC handle GV's? Thanks.TC

TLC

AA717driver said:
Can TLC handle GV's? Thanks.TC

Yes. You will recognize all the guys from Arrindell's who are now working at TLC. BaseOps and Universal both now recommend TLC.

GV

Thanks

Thanks for all the great input!

Rice, we should be down there b/w the 8th and the 12th. If you're still down on the island, PM me and I'll buy you a beer.

Postflight

This is the kind of thing I miss about my old job.

Radar at St Maarten? Cool. Even so, you have to watch out for other airplanes being vectored for landing. The controllers aren't quite up to US standard. Brief the departure procedure, too. They want you to turn in a particular direction before you hit the big hill in front of you. One guy I flew with made a turn the wrong way, and they were a little upset by it. The whole time I'm pointing and saying "no, THAT WAY!!' but it didn't help. I let him explain it to the tower. :)

The Maho isn't bad per se, but I'll bet the hotel mentioned above near Orient Beach is more fun. Better scenery, too. ;)

The 747 takeoffs are interesting from the outdoor restaurant at the Maho. Loud, too.

Check your charts and go over the HF reporting info if you don't do this often. I'd make up a template and fill in the info in the right order, to keep it simple.

RVSM equipment makes it a lot easier. We had one RVSM 35a when I left, if I recall correctly.

Down the road from the airport is a small rental car place where you can get a corolla to tool around the island. You can also rent a cell phone there, since a typical US phone won't work. Maybe a phone with a sim card will, but I never looked into it. We carried a little Nokia around in order to always be available to our dispatcher.

Phillipsburg has a real supermarket if you want to buy food.

Good luck. I miss it.

Last edited:
Re: More info???

rice said:
Looks like I'll be headed down to TNCM in the next week or so, possibly for 5 to 7 days.:D
Just wanted to hear from those of you with recent knowledeg; where would you recommend the crew stay for that length of time? Looking for a great beach, good night life, and a little (very little) shopping. In that order. Gotta bring something back for the significant other. Appreciate the help.:cool: :cool: :cool:

And Gumby, I don't want to hear any of your bitching. You've been practically living in PBI this winter.:D :p

I thoughts I hear me ears ringing!!! Me bitch? Noo way!! And this coming from the "Gear Biatch" himself!? PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE! Tell us all, that YOU'RE leaving the SPEEDO home this trip!! Serenity now!!! I've gotta go now and "cross swomp at 8000"...:eek: :eek: :rolleyes:

just tried TLC

Used TLC today for the first time, and they did an outstanding job! The difference between TLC and Arrendale is staggering.

I thought the "staggering" had more to do with the Heineken Happy Hour at that little bar at the beach end of the runway.

:D

Latest resources

Back