• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

St. Maarten (tncm)

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

gotta love the south beach bar...one buck heinies.

Anyone been there lately????

I've got a trip coming up in January and it seems like most of the hotels are already booked up. If anyone has any recent experience I'd appreciate a heads up. Looking at the French side this time, did the Maho before and since we'll be there for few days I was hoping to get to Orient beach.

Ah, Orient Beach. When I sell a few more luxury homes...... :)

At any rate, we only stayed at the Maho. Maybe it was just because it had the lowest rates, or maybe Arrendale had a deal set up; I'm not certain.

We used to get this little white Corolla from the car and cellphone rental place just down the road from the airport. The cellphone is the only kind that we knew of that funtions on the island, and the Corolla had barely enough power to climb the big hill above Phillipsburg a mile or two south of Orient Beach.

Be prepared for the fact that the little bar/restauant at Orient does not understand the concept of refills for soda, so you'll pay a premium price for every one of them, just like for mixed drinks. Use plenty of sunblock, SPF 50, and have a towel ready to place strategically when some young French model walks by with an all-over tan, and you find yourself with a sudden, and visible, reaction.

And above all, have fun. Orient is the little area you see in the Delta Sky Miles commercial, where the woman is in the little swing under the parachute, soaring above the water with the green hill and beach in the background. She starts out saying "I'm not ready!!!!" and at the end she's calling out "higher!!!!!!!"

I want to go back.......

Maho

You want to stay at the Maho, there is an all inclusive option which is not bad. right next door upstairs are two resturants, the one on the left side of the patio has one of the best ceaser salads I have had (no BBQ for the inquiring mind).

Last time we went we used the guys that used to be at Arrendale and started their own handling company, great group. 011-599-548-4442, ask for sheldon or earl. I have their email as well if you need it PM me.

Oriental beach is worth a stop, and the bar at the end of the street from the Maho that has the sections of stage over water with these brass poles under the moonlight is not bad either (lots of eastern european talent).

Thursday (could be Wed) at the South Beach bar is a MUST do, I think that is when the 747 comes in and departs and the humor of watching the beach blow away is excellent. The airbus and 75/76 departures are good but the 74 by far has the greatest entertainment value.

Oh and if you get bored and need some excitment take the island hopper (the smaller the better, normanders I think) over to St Bart. The trip is a good way to kill the day, and the approach and landing are worth the 40 or 50 bucks. Plus there is a resturant in downtown St Barts that Jimmy Buffet co-owns and the food is great and the scenery in the evening even better, lots of yacht crews too.

Last edited:
that great group of handlers to which otter refers is TLC Aviation...stands for The Logical Choice and definitely lives up to it. Steve Kong runs the show as was already pointed out, otherwise deal with Clement or Sheldon.

Enjoy...........

Latest resources

Back