• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Sr-22

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Why doesnt cirrus out-number cessna??? Gee, Thats a tough one!!!!!
How about Cessna has been making 172's and similar models for over 30 years with little competition, except from piper. They are tried and proven solid planes. Cirrus and other new competitors have only just poped up in the past decade. New technology is obviously better (cirrus) but realistically, they cant make thousands per year. They may never out number cessnas because they got a late start and becase of the downturn in GA.

Well, I'm not expecting them to outnumber Cessnas, but I'd think the ratio would be a bit better than it is.

Insurance is a pretty good reason. Perhaps as more people fly the airframe and insurance companies get more confident - prices will drop. Does anyone have a comparison of insurance rates between an SR-20 and a 172?

First of all the difference between a cirrus and a 172 is major. The most expensive 172 is under $200,000. You can't even get into the oldest Cirrus for even close to that which is only three years old. There are less than 900 cirrus out on the market today and 2 rolling off the line every day with a 3 month wait on aircraft. So in order to purchase an SR20 or SR22 your going to have to throw down a little more than $150,000 to own one. You can't even compare the two aircraft. They are on different levels all together.

They are on different levels all together.
The levels of "speed" and "coolness" come to mind! I would love to fly one. I would really like to experience the side-stick. seems to me it would take a while to make the transition but that's not what I've heard about them.

One of the only things that I have heard about being difficult to get ahold of is the descent planning, when you are transitioning from a single trainer type airplane, with the SR-22 truing out at about 180 TAS.

There is one place in the US that I know of that rents Cirrus' and that is Windy City Flyers at PWK, however, you must go through a 12 hour training program before they will rent to you. This is to satisfy insurance requirements.

I'm certainly not in the market to be buying an airplane but if I were about to buy a single engine airplane I would probably get a C-210.

I've only got about 300 hours in them but the one I flew was certified for flight into icing conditions, had a radar and my boss said it was worth about $180,000. It trued out around 180 kts and I had a blast flying it! It seems to me if you're going to use an airplane for anything other than training I'd stay away from the 172's and get something a little bigger and faster, even a C182RG would be good.

I think the Cirrus are probably good airplanes although I've never flown one. I don't know why people are worried about spinning them. If you're not training in them why worry about it. I've never once spun an airplane unintentionally and if I did accidently spin a Cirrus and couldn't get out, then I would have no problem pulling the ripcord (or whatever they call it).

U-I pilot said:
how much does PWK rent those for?

$185 a tach hour, I believe but I am not certain. The club is expensive to join. 695.00 one time fee to join and then 34-37 a month to remain active. The good thing is, that you don't have to maintain an active status to fly there. One month you want to fly pay the monthly fee. If you know you are not going to fly the next month then don't pay. All of their aircraft are very new.

http://www.windycityflyers.com/windy/index.html

They don't post the aircraft rates on the site, but I will get a new price sheet tomorrow.

Latest resources

Back