• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Spirit

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
In the meantime it sounds like you didn't mind flying blocks of 11 hours per duty period. Talking about opening a can of worms..

No, I would not mind flying 11h a day when I can be on duty for 14h and fly 8h a day as it is right now anyhow. And that is thanks to our contract ONLY, not the FAA. As far as the FAA cares you could block in 16 minus the show and leave time due to unforeseen circumstances. I would rather be able to fly 11h in 13h instead which is 3x3-4h leg. Not sure what makes you more tired, sitting in FLL or in the plane making money and working toward your monthly goals in less days. For me it is the same, so I might as well sit in the airplane, get paid, and not listen to the crew room BS.

But my point is, that this whole thing does not apply to Spirit. Yeah LA and Lima could be gone. I can live without those. When I've already sacrificed a day of my life for work, I would rather work than sit in a pub or hotel for 24h. Other than that, this will have a small impact on staffing needs at NK. I think.

Last edited:
It looks like they recommended duty time with no flight time limitation.

If there is a flight time limitation, they recommended between 7 and 11 hours depending on the start of the duty period.

Maybe I don't understand the ALPA email with their proposal...

I thought is was a max block time of 7-9 hours depending on what time of day you start...and maximum duty times vary by time of start and number of legs...

http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/7253/73855767.jpg

Last edited:
Hi!

Yes, you don't understand the ALPA proposal.

It is less tiring to do two, 5 hour trans-con legs (10 flight hours) in a 12 hour duty day, than it is to do 7+45, with 7 legs, in a 16 hour day.

It would also be nice to not have to do 240 hours of consecutive reserve duty, and then be called, at 0200, for a 16+ hour duty day!!!

cliff
NBO

Yes, you don't understand the ALPA proposal.
Thank you for clearing that up for me...I understand it much better now.

Plus, I'm pretty sure I'm correct in my interpretation of this...maybe someone can check my understanding...

According to the tables...

Show 0430
Number of legs 4

Maximum duty is: 7.0
Maximum block is: 9.0

or...

Show 1115
Number of legs 2

Maximum duty is: 13.0

If I am not understanding correctly, please help me to understand.

Last edited:
Thank you for clearing that up for me...I understand it much better now.

Plus, I'm pretty sure I'm correct in my interpretation of this...maybe someone can check my understanding...

According to the tables...

Show 0430
Number of legs 4

Maximum duty is: 7.0

or...

Show 1115
Number of legs 2

Maximum duty is: 13.0

If I am not understanding correctly, please help me to understand.

No clue what atpcliff is talking about. That is how I interpret it also. ALPA email does not talk about anything more than 9h block. My guess is increase in block (beyond the 9h) must be coming from the airlines' side of the panel but I have not seen their proposal written down yet. Only the hint in that article.

My feeling is that ALPA published their proposal to let us know, what they were trying to accomplish. I am afraid they have felt the need to do this because the final version will be a good bit worse.

Maybe I don't understand the ALPA email with their proposal...

I thought is was a max block time of 7-9 hours depending on what time of day you start...and maximum duty times vary by time of start and number of legs...

I was referencing the proposal made by the airline members of the aviation rulemaking committee. The airlines committee recommended between 7 and 11 hours depending on start time and legs.

The ALPA proposal is much more restrictive on flight time and slightly more restrictive on duty.

Am I the only person pissed of that ALPA is trying to increase our flight time to 9 hours? I thought 8 hours was just fine.

Am I the only person pissed of that ALPA is trying to increase our flight time to 9 hours? I thought 8 hours was just fine.

But look at the trade off. Duty reduced from 16 to 9-13. You can't go to sleep until you are off duty. Why are you guys sticking to block so much? 8 or 9? Who cares? You are still at work just not behind the actual controls. You can't rest. moth point though because the ALPA version is not what the rule will be.

In the new proposal are the maximum flight times drop dead times? No more legal to start, legal to finish?

I'm pretty sure we have all have days with way more than 8 hours of block, my record was close to 12 hours for a day.

Latest resources

Back