Spirit Updates...Anyone? Anyone?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Captjiggles

Does anybody think they will hire again by the end of this year and is there any hope for next year?

I think they still have pilots on the street, laid off 16 in May

There are currently five or six Spirit pilots on involuntary furlough along with fourteen voluntary furloughees. I think that the company overhired for the airbus transition and expansion, and has now taken steps to get rightsized. It personally ticks me off, because some of the last few classes from last year quit good jobs to come to Spirit based upon the promises they were made during the interview process. Our management likes the "you tell em one thing in a recurrent class, I'll tell em something else over the phone" technique of keeping us guessing. Over the last few weeks, managers have stated that we would recall this month, and other managers have stated that we would not recall until next year. I've heard that we might run another 35 upgrades into the Douglas, and I've heard that their will be no further upgrades.

In short, either the leaders don't have a plan, or they are just keeping us guessing for grins. Who knows?

I must say this. When I logged onto yahoo earlier today to check my email, the banner ad on my home page was a Spirit ad. While I sometimes wonder if Spirit will make it or not, I have to say the things are looking up. The new aircraft are rolling in, we've announced a few new destinations and the middle managers I know, are preparing to have a job at Spirit airlines for the duration. They think that we'll be ok.

Good luck to all furloughees everywhere.

Heard a September class for 13 new hires. Take it for what its worth, came from a system chief pilot.

Latest resources

Back