Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Spirit to start charging for bags and drinks..

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
SWA does it too. They take a loss until the passenger traffic is established then discontinue the "specials". Fares even go a little higher when they dominate an airport. How else would the company afford to enter a new market and take losses on the new service for a little while?

I view this as predatory pricing but what do I know?

NWA to DAL to AA? Really GWhizz, it's sounds like the airline industry gave you every opportunity. What would you "leave the door open" for?

Jumping can be very profitable...Or very painful. Must be planned well and entails a lot of guesswork. Not for the weak at heart.

I don't criticize anyone who does it. But I caution everyone on the practice.

Last edited:
FYI, I turned down Jetblue to go to NWA from which I quit to go to DAL, then onto AA. I am currently furloughed AA and have zero intension of going back anytime soon (always leave the door open).

Maybe that's the problem......you jump around too much.

Maybe that's the problem......you jump around too much.

C'mon mega, if you had been hired by JetBlue and had a UPS interview sometime in the last year, what would you have done?? Would you really have stayed at JetBlue? (One of the few hiring the last couple of years)

Not the same circumstance, but if presented with what appears to be a much better career, what would you do???

Last edited:
C'mon mega, if you had been hired by JetBlue and had a UPS interview sometime in the last year, what would you have done?? Would you really have stayed at JetBlue? (One of the few hiring the last couple of years)

Not the same circumstance, but if presented with what appears to be a much better career, what would you do???

Of course I would leave JetBlue.....BUT.....I SAY BUT.....when looking at NWA, then DAL, then AA....I would say that's too much jumping around. When I left my commuter to go to USA 3000, I narrowed down the job wish list to FedEx or UPS. Basically, I said I was going to roll the dice at USA3000 until either UPS or FedEx called because I didn't want to be a junior FO somewhere in 20 years. FedEx was my first choice mainly because I thought I had a better shot at getting the job there. Well, guess who called first? Then, three months after I got done with training, FedEx called. I really didn't want to jump around and mess with a good thing, so I declined the interview. I just don't think jumping around is a good idea. I have never heard a success story come out of it.

Good point. It was probably tempting to jump UPS for FedEx. But seniority at a similar company is nothing to sneeze at. There is an argument for either option and yours is a good one.

“Airline To Start Charging For Bags, Soft Drinks”

In my opinion, had a major airline tried this approach the headlines would say

”Delta/United/AA/CAL/USAirways to lower their fares by 40% and also to Start Charging for Bags, Soft Drinks”

Maybe it’s me but sometimes I feel as if the media likes to omit any “good” news regarding LCCs (such as major ticket price reductions in this case) and focus on the negative. Of course, I’m sure others feel it’s the other way around.

Last edited:
Before anyone offers an opinion on Spirit's pricing policy, they need to study Spirit's business plan. I'm no NKoolaide drinker, but I do believe that the plan just might work. In short, when one looks at the publically available information regarding Spirit, they will find that Spirit is focusing of the islander/southAmerican/centralAmerican immigrant to Florida and the heavily urban areas of the east coast. Those passengers don't read the local business news, or even the internet news. The immigrants only want a cheap ticket to visit home and the islanders/etc only want a cheap way to get to the States and shop. Spirit thinks that the new business plan can succeed in this demographic.

Spirit doesn't really care what the American leisure crowd thinks.

Neither do they care about what the pilots think.

I doubt that Spirit's business practices carry much threat to the domestic centered LCC.

I only want to get paid what I'm worth.

Spirit has probably decided to step out ahead of Skybus, which is going to introduce a Ryan Air clone operation very soon now, based on ultra cheap or even free fairs, but passengers will pay for everything beyond their seat, including calling a 900 number to talk to a human, checked and carryon bags, drinks, inflight entertainment, and anything and everything else they can think of.

Latest resources

Back