Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Spirit to fly to MSP from ORD and LAS. $9 tix. Really?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
As consumers we can vote with our wallets by spending our money somewhere other than Walmart, if that's your thing. Same goes for the airlines. If you don't like Spirit (or fill in the blank) fly on a different airline.

It's just business.

As pilots we generally jumpseat/non-rev anyway.

As part of its service rollout to the Twin Cities, Spirit plans to offer $9 base fares in June that will total $28.79 with fees and taxes.

Where does it say this price is sustainable forever?. I guess haters gonna hate though. Keep on keepin on Spirit

How did I drink 9e koolaid? That is the LAST thing I thought I would ever be accused of.... most know that I was handing out koolaid repellent at 9e. I f-ng hated that place!

Sorry if anyone is confused, i don't care who serves MSP, "Spirit plans to offer $9 base fares in June that will total $28.79 with fees and taxes". Obviously this is not a money making price, and is not sustainable, so as the previous poster mentioned I don't see a path to much success especially on these highly competitive routes.

Its just a marketing plan... only 1 month they will offer this rate, obviously after they fill the planes and all the passengers are all "yaying and horraying" then Spirit will obviously raise prices to the competive market, but the passengers will always remember Spirit and look at them 1st, just like many have at Southwest allll these years! Most people still have the $99 one way in thier heads about southwest, so they prob search them 1st... your acting like its going to be $9 fares forever, hahah Spirit has a good marketing plan and they fill up the planes and raise the fares to competitive rates quickly after

The checked bags pay for the gas, the carry on bags pay for the crew and then some. The 9 dollars goes to profit and mx. It's ala carte revenue.

I was on a spirit flight not too long ago and I was talking to the gentleman beside me. He and his wife paid 99 dollars for the airline ticket. They had two bags each, one the checked before for 25 dollars each and then they got charged 50 dollars to put their bag in the overhead bin because it was too big to fit underneath the seat in front of them. Then they got charged 6 dollars for two bottles of water. So in reality they paid about 200 dollars each for the trip. 31 % of spirits revenue comes from fees. If you are doing a day trip and pack very lightly it's the perfect airline. For a family trip it can get really expensive pretty quickly just like everyone else.

Latest resources

Back