• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Spirit Pilot Contract Negotiantions end: Strike loms

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
For as long as my short memory remembers..every contract that has been signed after 9/11 (or maybe even before then) has somehow screwed the pilots in one way or another....

Hell, even our NJA IBB in '07 (voted YES) aided in schedulings efficiency with crews and work days..meaning they really needed less of us in the end.. I was new then and didn't know too much about how the scheduling worked at the fractionals etc..

This contract sounds like complete sh!t. Just reading some of the details from an outside perspective throws up red flags!

Back in 2000 ME was a nice little niche airline, pilots were paid below industry stds for their equipment. But they had a job at a place most seemed to like to work, Along comes ALPA and gets them industry std wages which increased the burden on the bottom line. This required management break its niche in order to generate more revenue, there airline started becoming more like other airlines they had to now start to complete on price not service, bye, bye niche. Then came the pay cut in an attempt to save the airline, then came the end. Now other thing contributed to this one being internet access to ticket pricing, other airlines grabbing market share out of the MKE hub. I think that is what I meant. Which firs the chicken or the egg?

Do you really have that thick of blinders on? There were many times that the pilots could have worked for free and ME wouldn't have been profitable. Somehow the ME pilots are to blame for the walmarting of society. Couldn't be things like the CEO turning down guaranteed profitable contracts with people like NASCAR because he thought "those" people were beneath him. How about having nearly zero hedging plan? How about picking dead end aircraft? How about spending close to 10 million on payouts to employees who were illegally terminated? What was the total money they spent on consultants to do their jobs? Best guess is at least 2 years salary of the entire pilot group. How about taking close to 2 years to implement a fuel conservation program that was almost exactly the same as what ALPA proposed?

pilots ALPA all the answers?

Do you really have that thick of blinders on? There were many times that the pilots could have worked for free and ME wouldn't have been profitable. Somehow the ME pilots are to blame for the walmarting of society. Couldn't be things like the CEO turning down guaranteed profitable contracts with people like NASCAR because he thought "those" people were beneath him. How about having nearly zero hedging plan? How about picking dead end aircraft? How about spending close to 10 million on payouts to employees who were illegally terminated? What was the total money they spent on consultants to do their jobs? Best guess is at least 2 years salary of the entire pilot group. How about taking close to 2 years to implement a fuel conservation program that was almost exactly the same as what ALPA proposed?
I only know what I read ATW. It appears you have all the answers, if so why are you not in management making the aviaiton industry a better place t owork? Then how come the pilots did not buy the airline and run it he way it should have been run? Maybe maybe managment lost interest in the airline after while when they saw there was no way to save it? maybe it was there time to go out of buniess no matter what? As per above which came first the chicken or the egg

I only know what I read ATW. It appears you have all the answers, if so why are you not in management making the aviaiton industry a better place t owork? Then how come the pilots did not buy the airline and run it he way it should have been run? Maybe maybe managment lost interest in the airline after while when they saw there was no way to save it? maybe it was there time to go out of buniess no matter what? As per above which came first the chicken or the egg

How about you take your anti ALPA discussion into one of the 1000 alpa vs non threads. This airline is unionized and that will not change. Thanks for your support! Please leave.

It seems you have a reading comprehension problem. Where are answers in my post? One thing I do know is that if an employee who comes to me with way to save 20 million/year, I'm not going to sit on it because my arrogance is too great because I didn't come up with the answer. I'm also not going to avoid implementing cost savings and revenue generators because it would decrease my ability to get pay cuts from my employees. All the things I listed are things that people with the most basic elementary education could see is absurd.

The solution comes from quarterly press releases every 3 months from a company in Dallas. The answer is respect and morality. GK said it best, "If I need to ask for pay cuts from my employees it means that I have failed." 90+% of the airlines including the ones you happen to be involved with have been failing for years, but I have yet to hear a single word from any manager admitting to their failure. The George Bush complex I guess.

I guess you have to defend management because if I'm correct you are a manager and your company is/has been a failure.

For as long as my short memory remembers..every contract that has been signed after 9/11 (or maybe even before then) has somehow screwed the pilots in one way or another....

My son who is succsesfull in business outside of aviation pointed somthing out to me once when we were discussing airline industry strife. "Pilots as a rule will not quit flying. Upper level manangers are trained in labor tactics. They know this. Pilot's have no leverage." .

It's hard to get good contracts when management knows you aren't willing to do anything else and aren't going anywhere.

Nice touch of reality

My son who is succsesfull in business outside of aviation pointed somthing out to me once when we were discussing airline industry strife. "Pilots as a rule will not quit flying. Upper level manangers are trained in labor tactics. They know this. Pilot's have no leverage." .

It's hard to get good contracts when management knows you aren't willing to do anything else and aren't going anywhere.
One of those posts that does not fit the misplaced reality of many pilots. Aircorbra has done some nice post of reality in aonther thread. However if I post reality it is labeled as anti-union. This comes from being a former union member and seeing their limitations in affecting things against economic reality. BTW It's hard to get good contracts when management knows you aren't willing to do anything else and aren't going anywhere. Nor for most later in life capable of doing anything else

Last edited:
When does the 30 day cooling off period start?

More like when the RLA gets repealed :angryfire what a crock of a process this is. They have blatantly abused the contract and will have ZERO accountability for it when this is all over. I'm so tired of doing everything legally when they don't have to even consider following the law... they can't arrest 500 of us if we "illegally" walk off the job without a warning... so what are we waiting for?? :bomb:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back