• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Spirit now requiring 500 hours part 121/135 TPIC

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Yeah BC someone at a 91 gig with 10,000 plus hours and 6,000 Jet PIC certainly could never figure out 121 flying before they upgraded. How stupid!!! 121 flying is by far the easiest flying I have ever done.

Maybe they should require an A320 type rating like the PFT airlines!

IDK... Crystal balls never work, but....

We are at 2.5 yrs right now, having added 16 aircraft in 2012/2013....
Plans to add 25 aircraft in 2014/2015....

Admittedly, I haven't actually done the math, but it sure looks like under 2 yrs to me....

A newhire needs to reach nearly 55% company wide to be awarded captain. We have approximately 900 pilots currently. The company would need to surpass 1700 pilots for that newhire to upgrade. I don't believe we can hire 800 pilots in less than two years nor does 25 deliveries over two years require nearly that amount. Realistically, a newhire today could expect a 2.5 to 3 year upgrade at the fastest. Attrition could speed this up a bit.

Maybe they should require an A320 type rating like the PFT airline.
Made out way better then if I went to the wonderful AAI. Nothing like flying the 73 for regional wages. That's right AAI was great growing and you guys would have received the best rates in the industry. LOL! But I guess you where talking about Gulfstream like PCL flew for. I didn't need to pay for the type to get hired. SWA didn't receive one dime from the type, but you are to stupid to understand exactly what PFT is.

Last edited:
No matter how much 91 time someone has, the 121 flight deck environment has a different vibe, as we all know. I've seen pt91 guys struggle a lot more at standardization, checklist usage, abnormals, flows/calls than previous 121 guys.

If I ran an airline, I would insist on prior 121 more than I would any specific amount of PIC.

I've seen guys with 8000 hours in Citations that are complete knobs.

Yeah BC someone at a 91 gig with 10,000 plus hours and 6,000 Jet PIC certainly could never figure out 121 flying before they upgraded. How stupid!!! 121 flying is by far the easiest flying I have ever done.

I agree 100% with ya! The easiest flying job in aviation.

No matter how much 91 time someone has, the 121 flight deck environment has a different vibe, as we all know. I've seen pt91 guys struggle a lot more at standardization, checklist usage, abnormals, flows/calls than previous 121 guys.

If I ran an airline, I would insist on prior 121 more than I would any specific amount of PIC.

I've seen guys with 8000 hours in Citations that are complete knobs.

91 and 121 are different in some respects on one hand. Two different 121 carriers with the same aircraft types, one will have a smooth flowing checklist and the other carriers checklist is a clusterf##k!!!!!!!! You can't beat the experience!

I think after two years the 91 guy could figure out flows and ck list. I've seen 121 CA's after 20+ years that still cant figure out standardization, checklist usage, abnormals, flows/calls . What's your point?

Latest resources

Back