Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Spirit Airlines to charge $30-45 for carry-ons?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Possibly the worst idea yet to penny pinch customers.

But.....if the bag fits under your seat, you won't be charged. What a great deal!

Whoooooo are these people????!!!

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/36193399/ns/travel-news/

The CEO of Spirit was just on Fox Business defending this decision. He didn't defend his decision well. It kind of amounted to "i'm rubber your glue".... Why not just add 15 bucks to EVERY fare, allow checked bags to go free, and then you won't have people package everything they own in a 22 inch carry-on??!!

I just the spot on NBC. brian williams did his usual job. I see what the CEO is saying when he compares his airline to walmart and other legacies to Nordstrom.... public perception seems to be pretty negative although the only real effect, since we're only talking about a small number who are travelers on spirit, is that spirit may lose some customers and may not know until monthly or quarterly numbers are done. a quick drop off of sales would have to be evident...he can always reverse the policy ans CEOs have been wrong before

This is not that bad. It is just a way to look cheep on travelocity.com and speed turn times. I hate the dam over filled bins. Enforcement of this policy will be interesting.

Spirit will be the first to charge pax to use the $hitter. I bet they charge by the pound too. :puke:

How is it quality carriers that do right by their pax, like Midwest Express, get flushed without a thought...yet this turd of an airline gets national exposure for comparing themselves to walmart?

"It's On"? What the hell is that supposed to mean? Is any Spirit pilot really thinking they have a prayer in hell?

they'd be the perfect acquisition target for Republic..fits right into their MO. I have friends at spirit, for them i hope it works out.

Mmm...lets see how it the seniority list plays out before we add another can of worms to the mix. I agree it would be a wise acquisition for Republic.

Well folks, I hardly ever post but I need to drop my two cents worth here. First, if Spirit does this it will be disgrace to not only that airline but also the industry. As it was said before, if they do it another carrier will follow suit.

Who was the first to charge for bags? How long did it take for other carriers to jump on that wagon? What about food? When Spirit did these things a few years ago the general thought was just as I see on this thread, but the things they started are industry standard now.

Please don’t think I am defending Spirit. Nothing could be further from the truth. But, as a corporate driver I can look from the outside in. All the so called legacy carries are nothing more than followers. Name one legacy or large LLC (beside SW) that does not charge for bags. I have to wonder what it is going to take to get the consumer so pissed off that they say we have had enough and we are not taking this any more. When that happens I think we will see the government get involved and impose another stimulus package on us (called airline re-regulation).

In the mind of the traveling public, Spirit's name should be changed to $hit stain... Nobody I've talked to about this feels it is fair (regardless of the low fares). I think this entire thing will be a PR disaster... Great job Benny Baldanza.

Latest resources

Back