Spirit Airlines - the good, bad and ugly

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Starshipper

Hi everyone - just wanted to find out about terms and conditions at Spirit Airlines. I followed a Spirit MD-80 out a few days ago and the pilot sounded happy... Of course, I suppose anyone with A JOB in the airline business nowadays should be happy.

Questions for either Spirit pilots or people in the know:

1. Is Spirit hiring? Typically onto which aircraft - DC-9 or MD-80?

2. What is like to fly for Spirit - how is morale, etc.?

3. I am familiar with impending expansion out of Ft. Lauderdale to Caracas, San Juan, Santo Domingo, etc. - sounds like a lot of upcoming expansion. Any talk about how many pilots may be needed?

4. What types of pilots have been hired recently - military, regional? Do you need a type on the MD-80 to be competitive?

Thanks for the info. Appreciate any sincere comments about what it is like to fly for Spirit - the good, bad and the ugly....

Cheers

Good question Starshipper! I see those guys all of the time, and they seem happy. They are expanding a lot---kinda like your HEAD! Why don't you take it to the crapper---you DUMASS!

PS. I really do like those Spirit guys and girls!

Bye Bye------General Lee:cool:

General Lee, what's up with that? I think Starshipper asked some good questions.

KN

Hi!

Our airline is based in YIP, with a lot of guys that live in the Detroit area, which is one reason A LOT of them go to Spirit. We are called "Spirit West" because we are west of DTW. I think in Sep 3 or 4 (& we only have about 70 pilots) left for Spirit. If they were bad, this would not be occuring, as we have guys that go to all the majors, including SWA.

Cliff
GRB

General Lee = TOOL

Spirit is a fine airline with a lot of great folks. Cliff is talking about USA JET as "Spirit West".

I'd say that Spirit is hiring Pilot's with all backgrounds. They use to love getting ahold of USA Jet DC-9 drivers. Many were hired in as Capt. qualified FOs.

Lately, they are looking to hire displaced ALPA brothers/sisters from other carriers. (Such as Delta)

(Cliff - how are things going at JUS? Send me an email)

We are based in DTW and FLL your chances of beeing on the DC9 are slim to none, more likely the MD 80, we are not hiring until probably next year when our contract will be implemented.
The schedule is very good "99%" of our days are 2 legs a day, easy to commute, the Co is like a big family.
The one thing we had to work on was the pay scale and that will be done by Feb next year.
Our maintenance is quite good, and we are expecting to be receiving some new airplanes by the end of 2003,(boeing 737-900 most likely).
We have a cocktail of pilots we different backgrounds, Spirit will hire you if you have the right attitude and are willing to adapt to our culture without the relentless (in my old Co that's the way we use to do it).
I hope that helps.

Frenchy,

Thanks for the response - everyone, with the exception of General Lee, has been very helpful. I like the idea of maybe working at a "family-style" operation like Spirit's - and I have heard that before about Spirit.

Flying the MD-80 would be fine by me - it's a great airplane. Of course, I will need to get more hours and experience to be competitive - especially in this market... I'd love to fly the 737-900 - that would be awesome. I have flown on Continental 737-900s before and they were impressive - very, very long.

Any other Spirit pilots out there with comments or opinions about your operation? Thanks

"Well I, Guess I'm out of my league here...."--Ace Ventura

I am so so sorry Starshipper-----Take it easy now, ya hear?

Bye Bye---General Lee :p

Who the hell is this general munkeyspunk anyway?? Can't believe he made it through even the worst of HR departments.:eek:

Latest resources

Back