Spirit 2Q Profits rise sharply.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

NAAPilot

Just read in ATW that Spirit profits were 5 times what they were same quarter last year. Profits were 17.6million, up 5 fold from 3.1 the previous year. Congrats guys! No reason why the company can't finally pay and treat you what you're worth.

So far it is only 2 airplanes...and they were not returned, they were transferred to Tiger Airways which our inverters are invested in too...and give preferential interviews to our out of work folks.

So far it is only 2 airplanes...and they were not returned, they were transferred to Tiger Airways which our inverters are invested in too...and give preferential interviews to our out of work folks.

It's 5 so far. I flew one personally to MIA and there were 2 more already sitting there. One was getting painted with Mandala colors.

7 were off the flowsheet yesterday. Hard to say if they're all gone-- hopefully a few are getting C checks/new seats/etc. Unfortunately, a few have already popped up on the internet painted in Mandala Airlines colors.

I personally don't buy the profit margin numbers. I'm confident the place made a little money, but not at the rate the books said we did. Everyone should remember that the same white-collar crooks who are blatantly violating our contract are the ones who submitted these numbers.

gator

vols suck

Spirit put the money (~$30M) we got from selling our fuel hedge contracts and applied it to our fuel expense for that quarter, making it seem like we spent that much less than we actually did.

We still lost money, (on the) bottom line.

Good point. But, I don't think Spirit's 2nd quarter numbers reflect us selling our fuel hedges. They are unrealized gains from our fuel hedges going up in value during the 2nd quarter.

For example, Southwest was forced to account for the unrealized gains when their fuel hedges went up. Now Southwest will have to account for the unrealized losses when the fuel hedges drop. Realized gains/losses don't occur until the fuel hedge is sold or expires.

I disagree with the fact that the government seemingly allows airlines to use "fuel hedges" to adjust fuel cost numbers. In my opinion fuel hedges are a non-operating revenue/loss, and they do not change the cost of fuel. Remember that airlines are buying heating oil or crude oil. You can't hedge jet fuel in the United States!

So what if an airline decided to buy corn futures (or any other commodity) because they realized there is a close correlation to jet fuel prices. Could they pretend like this some how changes the price they pay at the pump for jet fuel? Jet engines will run about as well on corn oil as heating or crude oil (sarcasm).

Last edited:
Spirit put the money (~$30M) we got from selling our fuel hedge contracts and applied it to our fuel expense for that quarter, making it seem like we spent that much less than we actually did.

We still lost money, (on the) bottom line.

Even if that is the case. That $30 has been an expense at the time they have bought it. It has been reported as a loss somewhere prior to this Q. So NK might have not had the $28 mil profit now, but it also did not have the X amount of loss wherever before when they bought the option. Just a thought.

A fuel hedge is considered an "investement" not an expense. So when we bought the fuel hedges...it had no affect on the profit/loss for that quarter.

Latest resources

Back