Spin Recovery in a 152

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

cougar6903

Anyone know the recomended spin recovery for a 152 while doing power off stalls? How does having 30 degrees flaps effect the recovery? What is the loss of altitude per rotation?

Or the classic variation:

"Let go and scream."

Mr. Cessna figured that problem out a long time ago.

Any plane you can slow to a near stall, pull up completely past vertical, let slide back over on its tail with the the rudder jammed to one side and then have it recover by itself (just by letting go of the controls) is a pretty safe airplane.

Just don't tell your students thats the way to do all stall recoveries. Most aircraft are not so kind...

Normal spin recovery...power to idle....flaps 0....while simultaneously giving full opposite rudder to the direction of rotation and pushing the yoke forward until the stall breaks.....and then recover....its all the way to the panel in a Tomahawk....don't know about the 152 because I've only done entries and never developed it fully. Lost about 300ft or so in a 90 degree change of heading spin entry. If I recall correctly the Terrorhawk was almost 700ft a turn once it was fully developed.

Okay guys. Listen up. Other than CatDriver and Avbug, nobody has done more spins than myself. Period. I consider a spin a normal manuver (within limitations). A 150, if you are profecient,should have not more than 300 foot loss of altitude in the first turn. Go find an instructor who can really instruct, and spin the hell out of a 150........Trivia. Know why the 152 has only 30 degrees of flaps and the 150 40 degrees? I was going to give the answer, but will let you guys guess. (It was certification)

BD King said:
...Trivia. Know why the 152 has only 30 degrees of flapsand the 150 40 degrees? I was going to give the answer, but will letyou guys guess. (It was certification)

I'll take a stab...

I'm going to say it had something to do with slips and tail stalls dueto the reduced (gone?) airflow over the horizontal stabilizer...

or was that the older 172s with 40* of flaps....I can't remember...

-mini

BD King said:
Okay guys. Listen up. Other than CatDriver and Avbug, nobody has done more spins than myself. Period. I consider a spin a normal manuver (within limitations). A 150, if you are profecient,should have not more than 300 foot loss of altitude in the first turn. Go find an instructor who can really instruct, and spin the hell out of a 150........Trivia. Know why the 152 has only 30 degrees of flaps and the 150 40 degrees? I was going to give the answer, but will let you guys guess. (It was certification)

Got 11 revolutions in an C150 aerobat once.

rumpletumbler said:
Normal spin recovery...power to idle....flaps 0....while simultaneously giving full opposite rudder to the direction of rotation and pushing the yoke forward until the stall breaks.....and then recover....its all the way to the panel in a Tomahawk....don't know about the 152 because I've only done entries and never developed it fully. Lost about 300ft or so in a 90 degree change of heading spin entry. If I recall correctly the Terrorhawk was almost 700ft a turn once it was fully developed.

Advise to all. Don't ever intentionally spin a tomahawk. I lost a very close friend of mine in a spin in one. He was a DE and had about 30000 hrs at the time of his accident.

BD King said:

Is it the same reason older 172's have 40 degrees and later models only had 30? I'm guessing it has something to do with spins since thats the topic at hand.

cougar6903 said:
How does having 30 degrees flaps effect the recovery?

Are we sure a 150/2 is legal to spin? I thought that the were all (except A's) supposed to be placarded against spins.
I know it can be done, we used to spin them for hours in the 70s when it was legal.

I kind of think we shouldn't regardless, because of the age some ofthem are getting (sorry). Its not that a spin is hard on theairframe but .... and this gets to your question ... asloppy spin, and expecially a poorly executed recovery may damage theairframe. A lot of people allow too much speed to build up duringthe recovery and if you have 30d of flap out -ouch.. We never extendedflap for intentional spins. And approach stalls were guardedagainst incipient spins (the beginnings of a spin) carefully.

Get a Decathlon or something that is meant for spins... have you readthe FAAs older airplane inspection & maintenance guidelines? (forget actual title) That and seeing those T34s and thefirefighting airplanes break up in past years makes me think all that60s and 70s aluminum is crystallizing and getting brittle!

Latest resources

Back