• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Speedtraps

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I think Virginia is the only state that bans the use of radar detectors for the private civilian motorist (as opposed to commercial drivers). The police there, also use radar detector-detectors like the VG 100, to find motorists using radar detectors.

You can POSSESS a radar detector in Virginia...they are not BANNED from POSSESSION. They are not banned from sales in Virginia. USE of the radar detector will get you a ticket though.

Shawn C...as far as jammers go, I'd save the money for something else. VASCAR is undetectable, as is getting paced by certified calibrated speedometers or "clocked". If you see a police department that can afford to equip a squad with both radar and laser...then it's time to figure out what is up with that. Because they can't afford to put two units as expensive as LIDAR OR RADAR together in the same car. If they do, it's gotta be a one car, one cop, speed trap town.

Last edited:
On XC flights, nothing beats looking for speeders. If a speeder is going fast enough, it will show up on the air to air radar. The fastest I have seen is 120 knots. I watched that guy with the IR sensor swerve and almost lose control of his car as I was in single target track probably making his radar detector sing like the Mormon Tabernacle choir. I suppose if he had lost control and crashed I would have felt bad for an instant but hey, I wasn't the idiot driving almost 140 mph!!

Most slow down to 50, and very quickly I might add. What are they doing? Do they think that if they slow down to well below the speed limit the cop couldn't possibly think it was them? Unfortunately, I am never around long enough to see how long it takes them to get the courage to speed up again without ever having seen the "cop" that made them slow down.

Summary: Don't drive like an a$$ and you won't get a ticket. I was hospitalized and nearly killed by some a$$ who just found it too difficult to obey the speed limit. Sorry, if you get a ticket, it's your own fault, don't blame the cop.

Heard an interesting story from a GA state trooper once about someone he pulled over:

Trooper: Do you know why I pulled you over?

Citizen: No

Trooper: You were speeding 15 mph over the limit.

Citizen: So was everybody else, why did you pick me?

Trooper: Ever been fishing?

Citizen: Yes.

Trooper: Ever see a big school of fish and fish into it?

Citizen: Yes.

Trooper: You didn't catch the whole school, did you?

Latest resources

Back