• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

speed limit

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I've heard arguments that the speed limit goes away above 10,000' even when the Class B doesn't e.g. DFW, ATL, etc. I've been a little reluctant to test it though.

In reality, how is ATC going to know what IAS you're flying at? They see groundspeed on their screen, not IAS.

Not sure where people got the idea that the 250 below 10,000 rule applies to class B above 10,000. It does not. Look in 91.117.

The only thing that is different in Class B is that you don't have any 200 kt rule in the "surface area" surrounding a controlled field for the primary airport, so you can go 250 there.

Above 10000 in Class B you can accelerate to normal climb speed.

I do have to say that the notion that you can ignore a regulation because ATC (or whomever) won't notice the violation is disturbing. Flying faster than 250 above 10000' is always legal absent another speed assignment from ATC, but you don't violate a reg just because somebody might or might not notice.

Last edited:
chperplt said:
In reality, how is ATC going to know what IAS you're flying at? They see groundspeed on their screen, not IAS.

Well if other aircraft at your altitude (and going same direction) are all doing 280 kt GS and you are doing 330 kt GS... guess what? You are doing 300 KIAS and (especially in ATL) you are getting a "Speeding Ticket"... It isn't hard for them to figure out....

Now if we ALL conspire, then they are out of luck....!

Well if other aircraft at your altitude (and going same direction) are all doing 280 kt GS and you are doing 330 kt GS... guess what? You are doing 300 KIAS and (especially in ATL) you are getting a "Speeding Ticket"... It isn't hard for them to figure out....

I understand that...

I was flying through NY and on with BOS center.. Someone asked the controller if a "maintain max forward speed" was a clearance to do more than 250 below 10K, and the controller said officially 'NO", but there isn't any way he's going to know what you're really doing, or even care enough to say anything. Obviously not all controllers think alike..

chperplt said:
I understand that...

I was flying through NY and on with BOS center.. Someone asked the controller if a "maintain max forward speed" was a clearance to do more than 250 below 10K, and the controller said officially 'NO", but there isn't any way he's going to know what you're really doing, or even care enough to say anything. Obviously not all controllers think alike..

I agree... they will NEVER tell you that you are cleared to go over 250 KIAS below 10,000ft (they can't, that speed limit is a reg and they can't waive that) BUT THEY are the ones who monitor that reg, if they choose to look the other way, that is their choice...

Atlanta has been to only TRACON that has been real anal about the speed limit, Chicago has queried a couple pilots on occasion... but haven't been near as anal, usually it is a "Nxxxx say speed" and the reply is "250 kts" as you are yanking the thrust levers back to idle.

The AIM clearly states speed limits for different types of airspace. DISCLAIMER: The AIM is not regulatory.

Unless there is an air traffic controller on the board who can point out the speed restrictions in their manuals, we will all have to go on what the AIM says as the FARs have no mention of speed limits (outside of 91.117 which says nothing about Class B having a speed limit). That being said, Class B clearly has NO speed limit. Most Class B coincides with the 250kts below 10k feet rule. That is not a limit for Class B though. Class C and Class D clearly have maximum speeds listed in the AIM. Good question "Trip", always have material to prove your statement.

EDIT: My post appears to have been misunderstood. Simply, there is no speed limit for Class B airspace. Class B airspace that happens to be below 10k feet has a speed limit due to the speed limit below 10k feet (250kias), not because it is Class B.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back