Speed Limit under Class Bravo

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

minitour

I've been trying to find out for a while now, but no one can seem to answer the question.

When you're IFR, how do you know when you're under the Class Bravo airspace and have to reduce to 200kts? I realize that the Jepp area charts show radials and DME to help you out, but the NOS charts just show the class B area as a whole.

Anyone?

-mini

I know that VFR the airspeed is 200kts, but IFR there should be no speed restriction except for the standard 250kts below 10k.

Bjammin said:
I know that VFR the airspeed is 200kts, but IFR there should be no speed restriction except for the standard 250kts below 10k.

That's because IFR yuo are not to go under Class B, unless cleared for it. What mini wants to know is how do you know when you are and when you are not in B without a sectional. I guess if you stay at the altitudes prescribed by the IAP you should be ok. Also, the controller will not vector you below their airspace without leting you know. JMHO

If you are flying VFR around Class B, you should be flying with a sectional. If IFR it doesn't matter if you know your are near or under class B or not. You will either be on an airway or being vectored. I fly IFR around PHX all the time and go in, out, below, and around the Class B without landing there. I don't know the limits by heart, they just vector me though it when they can and I maintain 250KTS.

Bjammin said:

Where does it say anything about VFR vs. IFR speeds in the FAR's. Last I looked it just said 250 below 10K, and 200 below class B with no mention of IFR/VFR? Do you see something different?

Gosh, I thought it was in the FAR's. I've just known that for years, but I could be wrong. I've been that from time to time. :rolleyes:

It's very common to go under the class B when IFR and landing or taking off at an airport other than the primary. SDL, TEB, SMO, VNY to name a few. Approach does not let you know, you need to refer to an area chart or class B chart supplied by Jepp.

For instance departing Atlanta's PDK and climbing NE waiting for a turn to the south, the shelf out there is pretty high, can't recall exactly. Departure WILL question your speed, the correct answer is 200 kts.

Never been questioned and have fly 250kts all the time, dosen't mean I'm right, just think maybe some controllers care and others don't. So back to the original question I guess, if you don't have a sectional, how would you know you are under Class B?

When flying around MSP and not going to the international airport, you will be out of the class B. As a pilot, you need to have any and all appropriate charts. You need to know where you are and which airspace you are in.

I would bet that if ATC nailed you on the airspeed and the feds came to talk to you, they would tell you that you should know where you are at all times.

minitour said:
When you're IFR, how do you know when you're under the Class Bravo airspace and have to reduce to 200kts? I realize that the Jepp area charts show radials and DME to help you out, but the NOS charts just show the class B area as a whole.
-mini
We use the Jepp area charts....going into satellite airports around class B you are VERY likely to be vectored under the Class B (ATC will not tell you). And yes, it's 200 kts below 10K and under the lateral limits.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back