Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
not what consumers wants

An Open Letter to All Airlines

So perhaps you shouldn't be blaming oil traders for your difficulties, but rather should focus on developing a robust, highly efficient industry based on the ideal of competition which ensures timely and enjoyable coast-to-coast (and even international) travel. That means, first and foremost, good service -- even for economy class passengers. After all, people will always need to travel. You might find out that airline passengers are more willing to pay up to fly (see the growth of a company like NetJets) when they know it won't be a dreadful experience.Sincerely,
Us
Consumers may want service, but they will not pay for it. They shop price on the internet and will switch airlines for a $1. Growth at NJ?, where have you been? with rumors of 500-700 lays coming in January, that business model seems to have problems also. Shame on those consumers shopping for price, the airlines should raise the fares and show they who is boss, make them pay higher prices. Opps! they might not ride the airlines, might drive, take a bus or not go at all. Then what about all those empty seats? Don't need as many airplnes or as many crews or Captains. Good for senior guys not so good for everyone else, what do you think?

We all pay too much in taxes, I agree.

Given the above quote, doesn't it make you a screaming hypocrite to advocate increasing taxation on a particular segment of industry for the sole purpose of hurting that segment financially so that your segment might become more competitive?

But for purposes of this argument: we could also fix the air travel part of this by charging fractionals the same tax rate the airline pays. Poof! The royal barge turns into a royal pain and the airline gets some customers back.

Sure Gordon Bethune would "know" what airlines are taxed...great thing CEOs have never been known to exaggerate or use hyperbole ;)

Either way, the definition of "fair" is a moving target depending on where you stand and before anybody starts talking MORE taxes, let's actually get some data points on what those taxes exactly are outside of rumor & innuendo.

Why do we seem to care when some talking head says that our airline is run poorly. I just go to work and do the best job I can.

I don't operate the airline. I fly the f-in plane.

Don't carry the weight of your airline on your shoulders.

"Family. God. Country." I don't think I ever remember anyone saying: Family. Airline. God. Country.

Given the above quote, doesn't it make you a screaming hypocrite to advocate increasing taxation on a particular segment of industry for the sole purpose of hurting that segment financially so that your segment might become more competitive?

I prefaced it with "for purposes of this argument".

Two things got fractionals off the ground: Finding a way to operate FAR 91 (fly apchs to no reported wx and lesser rwy length criteria), and for a long time they didn't collect the Federal excise tax that was as much as 10%. Otherwise they never would have been any better deal than FAR 135 charter.

I don't want to see one hurt anymore than the other. I just want to see equitable. I'm comfortable with that scenario. Let's see 25% tax on the full amount a Marquis Card customer pays and I bet they take a second look at an airline.

Oh wise one. Could you please give us your opinion of how McCain and the retard would have dealt with the disaster of the last 8 years? 6 of which were TOTAL REPUBLICAN control.

BINGO...The dollar is going to be worth less than a roll of Charmin toilet paper soon...The "investor class" is us! We got "change" and I don't think we are going to like it....

Latest resources

Back