Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
NEDude said:
The stuff about Astronaut remains was reported on MSNBC TV about 12:50pm

Many news crews are reporting several false items. I have heard several times that in 42 years of spaceflight, this is the first tragedy involving re-entry and landing. WRONG. The Soviet Union lost Cosmonauts twice on re-entry. Soyuz 1 had a parachute failure and killed the lone Cosmonaut. Soyuz 11 had a decompression on re-entry and the three Cosmonauts, who were not wearing space suits, died. Apparently if it didn't happen to Americans, it didn't happen.

"In 42 years of human space flight, NASA has never lost a space crew during landing or the ride back to orbit." - cnn

is the soviet union NASA? no? then stop with the anti-american crap.

Re: WX RADAR INDICATIONS?

Airtower said:
i am no meteorologist, but i do know a thing or two about weather radar(met minor).

anyway... that debris over the reporting station at shreveport is due to bugs and buildings(usually), the radar return shown over alexandria, could very well be part of the space shuttle.

i just wanted to clear it up so people dont think all the scattering around shreveport is all shuttle debris.

I was not referring to typical clutter in the area of the transmitting antenna, I was referring to the solid swath about 40 miles wide by about two hundred miles long that stretched from somewhere around Tyler Texas to Alexandria, drifting slowly Eastward. It looked almost like a cold front squall line. It was there for nearly 7 hours, but finally cleared up. Amazing.

1967 - Apollo 1
1986 - Challenger
2003 - Columbia

Roughtly every 20 years?
Looks like we'll be due for another accident around 2021

ArcticFlier said:
Apollo 1: Virgil Grissom, Roger Chaffee, Edward White

Challenger: Francis Scobee, Michael Smith, Judith Resnick, Ronald McNair, Ellison Onizuka, Gregory Jarvis, Christa McAuliffe

Columbia: Rick Husband, William McCool, Kalpana Chawla, Laurel Clark, David Brown, Michael Anderson, Ilan Ramon

Don't forget about Michael Adams in X-15 #3. The spacecraft broke up at an altitude of 123,000 feet during reentry after an instrumentation problem occured.

God Bless them all.

Apollo 1 January 27, 1967
Challenger (STS-51L) January 28, 1986
Columbia (STS-107) February 1, 2003

Godspeed!

Guys...I'm crushed! I mean, we were flying only about forty miles north of where most of the heavy debris landed when Columbia went down! I just don't have words to describe how awful I feel...

...and the people around me are just shrugging, saying "oh well, sh_t happens," and moving on. Did September 11th make us so accustomed to tragedy that we just let things like this roll off our backs now?

Am I the only one--outside of NASA and the astronauts' families--who feels like crap about this? Is there something wrong with me?

(P.S. I read the Iraqi statement "celebrating" the loss of OV-102 and its crew. Is it time to bomb these f_ckers yet?)

Latest resources

Back