Space Shuttle Columbia

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

DLconnection

I was wondering how the tragic incident involving the space shuttle Columbia might have affected airline travel. While the debris was falling in the Dallas area, were aircraft that were flying in that area affected? Was there any flight delays or cancellations out of DFW that day because of this incident? Just curious.

I would like to take this time to express my deep personal sorrow for the family and friends of our shuttle crew from the USA and Israel. Experiences like this have shown us all just how quick life can change, so lets keep that in mind as everyone here progresses in life. :(

Flights into DFW

I was jumpseating from LAS to DFW on the morning of the shuttle accident. The tragedy had JUST happened as we were leaving LAS (in fact, the way I found out about it was from a woman who was on her cell phone before we pushed back). We left LAS on time and arrived DFW about 10 minutes early. There did not appear to be any delays.

We departed IAH at 0735 that morning and cruising along at 16000 en route to DFW, saw the entire horrific event. We had no idea it was the shuttle though. The chatter on the radio between the crews that saw it and center was that perhaps it was a satellite or something. There were even wise cracks about whether we were near Roswell or Area 51 or UFO's. But as of yet we had no idea of the tragic events we had seen. We saw no debris falling near us and arrived at DFW on schedule. We learned that what we saw was the Columbia when we arrived at the gate. What an awful feeling I felt parked there at the gate realizing that what I had seen from my cockpit was 7 courageous HERO's losing there lives!
We had another round trip to HOU later that morning and ran on schedule the remainder of the day. We did hear Ft Worth and HOU Centers announce the TFR over east Texas.

God bless each of those Astronauts and their families.

ASAFO

Latest resources

Back