Southwest's magic formula: low costs, low fares and high pay

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Big Slick said:
Of course total compensation would be something else to look at but I am not smart enough for that.

Like I said earlier, you have to take into account the A and/or B funds too.

And profit sharing and options. Don't forget health care and insurance.

There are a heck of a lot more legacy captains in the world than SWA captains. AA has ~5000 captains alone.

Also, I don't buy the argument that SWA captains are guaranteed more hours each month, so they make more. A legacy captain could choose to fly more each month too. But, there is this thing called QOL...... Don't compare apples to oranges.

Absolutly right! SWA offers a very flexible system WRT when and how much to work. Some months I am very productive (kids in school) some months I am a slacker ;) I am not dogging anyone else's system, just pointing out that MOST of my QOL issues are under my control.

How about this statement? Of the airlines that might actually hire you, SWA pay is pretty darn good. (Ignore CAL, FedEx and UPS)

Big Slick, I absolutly agree with you that attitude (glass half full?) is vital to how one would view the compensation at SWA. But at SWA employees are seen as a valulable asset that must be properly used, not an expensive liability to be controlled.

To me the bottom line is that I work when I choose to work and am well paid. I'd recommend SWA as an employer to anyone.

Big Slick said:
I have seen a lot of articles lately saying Southwest has the highest pay. If you look at the numbers, they don't. That's all I'm saying.

Can a junior guy make more right now at SWA. Probably. Does that mean SWA has the highest pay? No.

Does an AA 777 captain make more than a SWA 737 captain. According to the numbers on airline pilot central, yes.

Is the pay at SWA good? Yes. Is it the highest? No.

Where is the quote that says we are the highest paid pilots in any class or category of aircraft?

I must admit I skimmed the article but I only found it saying counterparts.

ivauir said:
Big Slick, I absolutly agree with you that attitude (glass half full?) is vital to how one would view the compensation at SWA. But at SWA employees are seen as a valulable asset that must be properly used, not an expensive liability to be controlled.

To me the bottom line is that I work when I choose to work and am well paid. I'd recommend SWA as an employer to anyone.

Well said. And in my experience, the difference.

Glass Half Full
Your pay sure is a lot better than Jetblue's. Their EMB-190 pay is not good.

Glass Half Empty
Jetblue pays less for its work force. To compete, you may have to take a pay cut.

Big Slick,

Instead of trying to figure out what is wrong with Southwest, why don't you figure out a way to get hired by them. If you take pause and be honest with yourself, which isn't an easy task by most people, you will find that your just envious of them.

If you say anything other than that, your only fooling yourself. Not anyone else here.

Like I said before, this board has become a SWA love fest. I'm just being the devil's advocate.

canyonblue said:
Southwest's magic formula: low costs, low fares and high pay

This is Outrageous!

Propaganda at it's worst!

However, I like the under 70 employees per Airplane.:) Is that the average age?

:pimp:

Big Slick said:
Like I said before, this board has become a SWA love fest. I'm just being the devil's advocate.

I think in this situation its called flamebait.

Different animal.

That should say "Equal Cost" that's what all those bankruptcy's were for.

Big Slick said:
Glass Half Full
Your pay sure is a lot better than Jetblue's. Their EMB-190 pay is not good.

Glass Half Empty
Jetblue pays less for its work force. To compete, you may have to take a pay cut.

Big Slick,

I agree. Pay cuts might be in our future.

But if you don't want to get beat up on pay issues, be more specific and get your facts straight.

Yes there is a big LUV fest at SWA. Every airline hiring is having one. We all hire until the furloughes start.

Latest resources

Back