• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Southwest Window

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Bubba, once again you demonstrate how SWAPA isn't a real union. It's just a collection of selfish pricks looking out for number one. ALPA bargaining policy prohibits PFT at ALPA carriers, and requires NCs to bargain it away if it exists. It's damaging to the profession, and it's the responsibility of a real union to eliminate such threats, just like the B scale in the '80s. But you don't care, because you're not a trade unionist. As long as everything is okay for you, you don't care about anything else. It's the mantra of the SWAhole: "what's in it for ME?!"

Dude--your blind hatred for Southwest is just making you stupid. You know that?

You're really gonna make a stand that SWAPA is a bunch of "selfish pricks looking out for number one," based on not wasting negotiating capital to change the company's hiring minimums? Seriously, that's your argument? That's pretty damn funny, actually.

Let's talk about "selfish pricks," shall we?

Q: How many ALPA carriers have literally sold their own brethren down the river (i.e. allowed outsourced flying to the cheapest regional) in return for an extra percentage point or two in a contract raise?
A: Most, if not all of them. Bad for the entire industry. Selfish pricks, right? SWAPA has never moved backward on scope, and has expended substantial negotiating capital continually strengthening its scope, to the point where now it's the industry's gold standard. The first thing SWAPA did when Southwest bought AirTran was get your profession-damaging outsourced flying eliminated.

Q: What union actually sacrificed one of its own chapters (over a thousand members) in hopes of luring a a larger pilot group to join it, for the sake of increased dues money?
A: ALPA, in the case of TWA ALPA and American Airline's APA, during their SLI. More selfish pricks, right?

Q: How many ALPA groups have allowed their junior members to be furloughed when they might have been able to prevent it?
A: A lot; possibly most of them. Maybe not as selfish as other things, but they certainly didn't go out of their way to save their juniors. To the best of my knowledge, SWAPA is the only pilot union to ever voluntarily ask the company to reduce everyone's hours (and pay), simply to prevent any junior members from being furloughed (when we lost the leases on some planes and total flying was cut).

Q: How many DFR lawsuits has ALPA lost for actually screwing over various subsets of its own members (and usually related to money)?
A: I don't actually know for sure what the number is (ironically, you may), but the number is damn sure more than the zero that applies in SWAPA's case. You're right that some union has a bunch of "selfish pricks" in it, but it isn't who you think.

And after all that, you're gonna' whine that SWAPA is "damaging the profession," just because our company has a hiring standard that you don't like, and we don't waste money to try to persuade them to change it? That's so sad, it's laughable. Your entire argument is a joke, PCL.

Requiring a type rating isn't PFT anymore than requiring an ATP was. I doubt that anyone at ALPA, other than you, would even consider it that. Regardless, however you want to try to spin an ALPA rule for your pathetic argument's sake, it wouldn't matter anyway--federal law trumps unions' "policy." Spending union dues money for the benefit of non-members (applicants that neither work for the company nor belong to the union) opens the door for lawsuits. But then again, getting your ass handed to you in court has never stopped you before.

Bubba

You've mentioned that several times now. Which outsourced flying, exactly, are you talking about?

http://worldairlinenews.com/2011/09/07/skywest-ends-its-relationship-with-airtran/

SkyWest ends its relationship with AirTran
By Bruce Drum on September 7, 2011

SkyWest Airlines CRJ200 (CL-600-2B19) N947SW (msn 7786) LAS (Jay Selman), originally uploaded by Airliners Gallery.

SkyWest Airlines (St. George) as planned, yesterday (September 6) stop flying for AirTran Airways from the Milwaukee station. AirTran and parent Southwest Airlines have taken over some of the regional routes but many are unprofitable for larger aircraft. Southwest does not have a pilot scope clause for the company to contract with other carriers to operate feeder flights.

Copyright Photo: Jay Selman. Please click on the photo for the full story.

SkyWest?s former MKE routes:

Don't forget jets4jobs - abrogating seniority at one company to benefit pilots from another.

Age 65 occurring post 9/11 causing thousands of furloughed pilots to stay on the street years longer than would other wise be necessary just so the senior guys could have a few more years to get their financial house in order.

PFT ended due to supply and demand. Not because the Chautauqua pilots or the Commutair pilots or the Valujet pilots suddenly had the leverage to tell their company to stop.

Dude--your blind hatred for Southwest is just making you stupid. You know that?

You're really gonna make a stand that SWAPA is a bunch of "selfish pricks looking out for number one," based on not wasting negotiating capital to change the company's hiring minimums? Seriously, that's your argument? That's pretty damn funny, actually.

Let's talk about "selfish pricks," shall we?

Q: How many ALPA carriers have literally sold their own brethren down the river (i.e. allowed outsourced flying to the cheapest regional) in return for an extra percentage point or two in a contract raise?
A: Most, if not all of them. Bad for the entire industry. Selfish pricks, right? SWAPA has never moved backward on scope, and has expended substantial negotiating capital continually strengthening its scope, to the point where now it's the industry's gold standard. The first thing SWAPA did when Southwest bought AirTran was get your profession-damaging outsourced flying eliminated.

Q: What union actually sacrificed one of its own chapters (over a thousand members) in hopes of luring a a larger pilot group to join it, for the sake of increased dues money?
A: ALPA, in the case of TWA ALPA and American Airline's APA, during their SLI. More selfish pricks, right?

Q: How many ALPA groups have allowed their junior members to be furloughed when they might have been able to prevent it?
A: A lot; possibly most of them. Maybe not as selfish as other things, but they certainly didn't go out of their way to save their juniors. To the best of my knowledge, SWAPA is the only pilot union to ever voluntarily ask the company to reduce everyone's hours (and pay), simply to prevent any junior members from being furloughed (when we lost the leases on some planes and total flying was cut).

Q: How many DFR lawsuits has ALPA lost for actually screwing over various subsets of its own members (and usually related to money)?
A: I don't actually know for sure what the number is (ironically, you may), but the number is damn sure more than the zero that applies in SWAPA's case. You're right that some union has a bunch of "selfish pricks" in it, but it isn't who you think.

And after all that, you're gonna' whine that SWAPA is "damaging the profession," just because our company has a hiring standard that you don't like, and we don't waste money to try to persuade them to change it? That's so sad, it's laughable. Your entire argument is a joke, PCL.

Requiring a type rating isn't PFT anymore than requiring an ATP was. I doubt that anyone at ALPA, other than you, would even consider it that. Regardless, however you want to try to spin an ALPA rule for your pathetic argument's sake, it wouldn't matter anyway--federal law trumps unions' "policy." Spending union dues money for the benefit of non-members (applicants that neither work for the company nor belong to the union) opens the door for lawsuits. But then again, getting your ass handed to you in court has never stopped you before.

Bubba

Man's got a point. ALPA's a business, nothing more, nothing less. They will throw one group to the wolves, in hopes of landing a larger-dues paying one. The same old re-tread lawyers, sitting at the same desks for over 20 years hauling in 300K+ a year and they get their ass handed to them every time in court. ALPA is politics, a lobby, a bunch of greasy, venal, debauched, profiteering praetorians. There's also a negative side to their business.

As far as the allegation that SWAPA is a bunch of "selfish pricks looking out for #1"...well, the man has a point.

Dude, brevity is a virtue. And your "facts" are anything but. Not worth going into details on this thread, because it's all unrelated, but I'll be happy to answer them if you start another thread about it.

Requiring a type rating isn't PFT anymore than requiring an ATP was. I doubt that anyone at ALPA, other than you, would even consider it that.

To be clear, I don't consider it PFT. I haven't used that term, others have. I've just said that it's wrong and damaging to the profession.

Hey pcl

Shouldn't your avatar say we were alpa.

And. ....

When is your last day? I think it is awesome that you won't be

coming over.

Hey Double Doosh,

Haven't you asked those questions twenty times already?

Hey pcl

Shouldn't your avatar say we were alpa.

And. ....

When is your last day? I think it is awesome that you won't be

coming over.

It should say "We are STILL ALPA" thanks to SWAPA. I don't blame them, with their lack of interest in how ATN ALPA did things until just recently (after they gave away the opportunity for int. overrides, additional per diem, and crew meals), they don't want the responsibility for administering our contract until forced upon them. It'll make them look bad.

Latest resources

Back