• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Southwest - WHY no assigned seats?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You have to love those cattle calls. It's why I sometimes call WN, Moo airlines. It is really quite entertaining to see how we all degenerate to our baser instincts when given the free for all loading process, with pushing, shoving and elbows in the ribs in the competition for the precious overhead bin space. Check out the frenetic, hostile, environment at the WN terminal area to the much more relaxed atmosphere at the other carriers, and this is inspite of the increased security measures.

WN is to flying as McDonalds is to food. Sometimes you just get stuck eating the fast food. And just as fast food can cost just about the same amount as a regular restuarant you get the same with the choice with some of the other "LCC's".

Right now WN serves alot more destinations then the other carriers. That makes them the 400 pound gorilla in the field.

WN is cheap, though it does come with restrictions. I bought tickets OAK - LAX, $29.00 each way. They are loaded with restrictions though; no refunds, changes, exchanges, etc. But really, you would probaby spend more money hitch hiking than the ticket price, so you can't complain. For that privelege you have to pay the penance of the cattle call, the filthy aircraft and the wonderful company of the other hitch hikers your flying with.

I will not go into all the complaints, because even the other major airlines are not doing well, cutting back services. The morale is very low and is very evident.

Overall I hope that all the airlines survive. I still think that there is a market for them all. I tip my hat to those that work at WN. They have a hard job, work very hard, and it is probably not the picnic that they might like to portray. They are very open with the jumpseats and go out of their way to treat crewmembers with respect and dignity. Matter of fact I think that as a jumpseater I have been treated better than as a paying customer.

To the poolies that post here in staunch defense to your future employer; Please realize that you don't really know what it is like to actually work for WN. I am sure that you will all find out soon enough. Posting your assumptions and speculations of just what the inner workings and machinations of a company that you are not currently employed with is inappropriate and farcical in nature. It's akin to telling people how to play baseball when you have never seen the game played.

Southwest has a niche. They focus on point A to point b casually, safely and quickly. Their boarding procedure is part of why they're hardly ever late. It's obvious that it works for SWA because they're making money. Me personally, I have rarely purchased a ticket...I've always jumpseated or nonreved, so all my life I've just been "lucky" to even get ON the plane, much less fuss over a middle seat or when I get to board. I think that whole seating anxiety think you mentioned is just the nature of airline travel. If passengers want assigned seats a month prior to the flight, pay the extra $$ and go on AA?

I hate to break the news to you guys and gals but assigned seating does not remove the middle seats from the aircraft. And if I am one of the last guys who must take a middle seat I want to choose which one I'm in instead of being assigned seat 18-B with Bubba in 18-A and his 300lb boyfriend in 18-C.

Corndog

From the jetBlue perspective

We have assigned seating, but it does come at a cost in turn time. Boarding takes about 30 minutes for 162 people and the occasional seat duplication does add complication. I'll admit there are times I wish we could just throw everybody in the nearest seat and push. However, our leadership believes that providing assigned seats is an important part of providing a quality flying experience. Hence our turn times allow for slightly longer boarding times than a 737 with 137 in open seating. We increase our aircraft utilization and profitability by flying the aircraft during the middle of the night--something I haven't seen on SWA's schedule.

I've flown SWA a lot over the years and I didn't have a problem with the open seating for the short hauls. Short hauls also require quicker turns to be more productive. I thought I read a company statement a while back that said even with the new procedures, they were not interested in changing the cattle call boarding process because it is part of their culture. (I guess that's part of being a Texas-based company! :D ) While reserved seating may make sense on longer hauls, having different boarding standards creates a level of complexity that is probably unnecessary.

There have been lots of studies conducted on the fastest way to board aircraft. If I recall correctly, open seating was second only to loading windows, then middles, and then aisle seats. Since that system would probably be overly complicated, I expect SWA will stick with the open seating policy in the interest of minimizing turn times and operating expenses.

No offense to heavyset and especially corndog...you guys have tons of flight time and have prolly forgotten more about aviation that I know, but, I don't understand why you guys are so bitter about the middle seat. It's just not the middle seat that cramped in an airplane, it's almost everything that's cramped inside an airplane. A 737 is large compared to being in a lear cockpit. In all due respect, after 27000 hours, one should understand that sometimes when flying on airlines like Southwest, you may get stuck with the middle seat. Sure its no picnic, but the alternative is driving. Do you want to drive 4-5 hours to ABQ from DAL, or take a 90 minute Southwest flight where you may have to sit in the middle seat for awhile?

How do discussions like this one and that stupid "is it unprofessional to wear a pilot hat" thread even get started in the first place. Our country is at war and thousands of qualified crewmembers are furloughed. How are some of the pilots on this message board able to cry and whine about wearing their uniform hats and the boarding/seating policy on SWA? I will gladly have your airline hat permanently attached to my head and commute to and from work twice a week in the middle seat next to Bubba, just for the chance to have an airline career again.

No MIDDLE SEAT issue...

I am not specifically concerned about the middle seat per se. In fact, I found an asile seat way in the back on my flight on Sunday. What disturbed me was the continuing mad scramble for seats and the resulting anxiety - "I've got to find a seat.... ahhhhhh.... that one is taken?....how about that one?" etc. etc. etc. Not a fun experience - seriously, it takes away from the great Southwest service....

My main point in this thread is that Southwest should CONSIDER changing its unassigned seat policy now that other things have changed (now paper confirmation passes) and other aggressive LCCs offer very competitive products. It is to Southwest's benefit to consider this - I don't care if its model has been successful for 600 years. Things change - flexible companies should be able to adapt to changing conditions. I am not suggesting that Southwest change everything - just ONE ASPECT...

Just because you guys don't have a problem with open seating does NOT mean that other passengers don't. If I were a business passenger who wanted to spend extra time with a customer and not worry about showing up at the airport early enough to be placed in the "B" section of boarding priority, then I would not appreciate open seating as much. You should have seen the negative expressions on the business passengers behind me - I felt bad for them. Multiply that scene by 1,000 per day and it is not a pretty picture.

I am not trying to be disrespectful. I have made my points. Just constructive feedback. I hope Herb and others will consider a change... Southwest is the last major to offer unassigned seats - I hope it will consider this change and improve its product - to everyone's benefit...

xXpress1,

Does Southwest offer Zoloft with its peanuts? I would probably take a few next time...

Cheers

Heavy Set,

Sorry you had a bad experience on SWA. Sounds like you wont come back until we assign seats. Personally I dont think it will happen. SWAs success is based on simplicity. The plastic boarding cards were done away with because of a TSA requirement to have a passengers name printed on the card. Then other changes were made because we were making our customers wait in line three times before they boarded a single flight. Further changes will be made (I hope soon) so we can get our connecting customers all boarding passes at the same time instead of making them wait in line every time they change airplanes.

Ive worked for another major airline and I can tell you SWA turns an airplane like no other. Our ramp workers are fantastic. I have never waited for ramp personel to marshal us into a spot, or a jet way driver to be ready to accept us. Our flight attendants do not want to check bags because they know it sucks and they make every effort to find room for each carry on to the point of going to a bin and taking out a small bag and telling the customer to put it under the seat in front of them. Quite a sight.

New carriers have the advantage of not dragging 30 years of history forward with them. We have the advanatge of frequency, reliability and flexibility.

While JetBlue has a fantastic product they have 36 airplanes and dont have the frequency that SWA does. Airtran is losing money so is ATA. Song in unproven and IMHO the same story, drive the low costs out of business and then raise the fares.

If the seat anxiety is a showstopper SWA just might not be for you.

flyingitalian said:
Airtran is losing money so is ATA.

Better check your facts on that one. AirTran was profitable for the year 2002 ($10.7M), and will post higher than forecast profits for the 1Q 2003.

Last edited:
flyingitalian said:
I have never waited for ramp personel to marshal us into a spot, or a jet way driver to be ready to accept us.

This still blows me away as I have waited only once for a jetway operator in a year now(we were 20 mins early) Always there!. Ramp personal actually run to marshall a plane in. At a former airline the only time you saw the ramp guys run was whe the employee bus pulled up.

vx9.tc

I've flown those Friday night BUR-LAS and know why you take the middle seat;) Another good reason to have "choose your own seat"!!

Keep in mind we have operated since day one with no assigned seats. Price as it was stated is king. Now if you are going to fly from point a to point b and the difference between fares is more than $500.00 and you, not your company is paying for it, which one are you going to choose? Exactly, $$$. Well thats how it has been for many many years.

Now new LCC's have showed up and are offering something different at a comparable price. Which one are you going to take? I for one will give them a try. I would bet that management at SWA are montoring that. If they succeed long term we will most likely have to make some changes, ie assigned seats, TV. If they fail then I would bet things will remain the same.

Someone stated that when we get a first class he will give us a try. Well I too flew for corporate and was a vendor for EJA so I can bet who ever made that statement is not paying for their own tickets.

Latest resources

Back