• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Southwest Wannabe...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Anyone think Southwest will need to hire within the next 5 years?

crjdude

I would think that we'd have to wait until after we've transitioned all the AirTran guys first, but who really knows. There's always rumors; in fact recently, I heard that we would hire up to 400 off the street before the end of this year. Not sure I believe that one, but you never know.

Bubba

P.S. If you really want to be a Southwest guy someday, start practicing taxiing really fast now; you wouldn't want to disappoint Dan Roman! :)

Unless there is a lot of growth...no.

Phred
Yep, what Phred said. But, the Wright Amendment ends in October of 2014 and Southwest is scheduled to break ground on the international terminal at Hobby in September with the first flights anticipated in 2015. Southwest is fully funding the five-gate international terminal at an estimated cost of $156 million so I would not be surprised to see at least some growth in order to realize a return on that investment. So, growth in the very short term is not entirely realistic, but growth between now and 2018 is certainly plausible.

Anyone think Southwest will need to hire within the next 5 years?

crjdude
If SWA does not hire between now and August of 2018, age 65 retirements will trim the SWA seniority list to just under 7,100. When you factor in some guys leaving for the legacies and FedEx and the occasional guy getting fired for a lapse in judgement skills, there would probably be less than 7,000 pilots on the list. So unless you feel SWA will be trimming there system block hours about 10% over the next 5 years, there will be new hires at SWA.

2015 will be the telling year- 5 different initiatives, including air tran, should be complete and matured
Until then, explore the other options you'd be happy with

If SWA does not hire between now and August of 2018, age 65 retirements will trim the SWA seniority list to just under 7,100. When you factor in some guys leaving for the legacies and FedEx and the occasional guy getting fired for a lapse in judgement skills, there would probably be less than 7,000 pilots on the list. So unless you feel SWA will be trimming there system block hours about 10% over the next 5 years, there will be new hires at SWA.

That's if we shrink. I think their will be new hires in 2015 to help offset the retirements.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back