Southwest trying to give up gates at BWI

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Eagle757shark

Southwest trying to give up boarding gates at BWI — Southwest Airlines, which is trying to buy spots from AirTran Airways at La Guardia Airport, is also attempting to give up some of its boarding gates at Baltimore-Washington International Thurgood Marshall Airport. A spokeswoman for the company said the decision to downsize was to “optimize operations,” rather than trying to pull out of the airport. Southwest manages 24 gates at BWI.

Wait until Soledumb Obrien at CNN gets a hold of this one.

I can hear it now...."strapped for cash Southwest Airlines is seeking to sell its gates at BWI to purchase AirTran gates at LaGuardia. Air Tran Airways officials were unavailable for comment, but recent events and the sagging economy have appeared to have caught up to the domestic leader Southwest. There is heavy speculation that Southwest is trying to reinvent itself to attract more revenue in this competitive market. If they only had hedged like the Legacies, they would be as well positioned to make that forecasted profit in 2009. Now for more on the second-coming of Obama, we go back to Anderson in the newsroom.........Anderson......"

Is Southwest attempting to buy slots from ATA or AirTran? So many news people seem to get the two confused.
They've petitioned the BK judge to put in a bid for ATA slots.

WN has a good feel when to tap into a mkt. I think they see lots of retraction in the LGA mkt with what's going on down on Wall St. 7 TO slots isn't going to do much to anyone today, but should a few other carriers decide to pull the plug or sell slots, WN is in great shape to buy them.

LGA is hardly a B6 stronghold, and I don't see WN affecting their position as the dominant NYC carrier, but WN is patient and with an eye to the future they could be a force in 5 yrs or so. With their balance sheet, there really is no competition should slots come up for sale.

I think DAL is headed for big cutbacks at JFK in the next 12 months. This would be a welcome relief to B6, as DAL's expansion there has put a stranglehold on B6 traffic in and out of the airport. The credit markets are still a problem for B6, as debt comes due in the next few years. It could put them in play for a merger if revenue is not enough to cover their nut(s).

:pimp:

They've petitioned the BK judge to put in a bid for ATA slots.

WN has a good feel when to tap into a mkt. I think they see lots of retraction in the LGA mkt with what's going on down on Wall St. 7 TO slots isn't going to do much to anyone today, but should a few other carriers decide to pull the plug or sell slots, WN is in great shape to buy them.

LGA is hardly a B6 stronghold, and I don't see WN affecting their position as the dominant NYC carrier, but WN is patient and with an eye to the future they could be a force in 5 yrs or so. With their balance sheet, there really is no competition should slots come up for sale.

I think DAL is headed for big cutbacks at JFK in the next 12 months. This would be a welcome relief to B6, as DAL's expansion there has put a stranglehold on B6 traffic in and out of the airport. The credit markets are still a problem for B6, as debt comes due in the next few years. It could put them in play for a merger if revenue is not enough to cover their nut(s).

:pimp:
Reading the article above about Southwest downsizing in Baltimore is very interesting. I know ATA is selling assets in Bankruptcy. The article said AirTran and made me wonder if they were confusing the two companies (ATA and AirTran) again. I think a lot of people will be watching Southwest. They seem to be poised to enter into new markets no one ever thought you'd see them in (Denver, Mexican and Canadian code share partners, and now Laguardia).

WN has bid to purchase 14 LGA slots from ATA through the BK proceedings. Currently, AirTran leases 12 of those slots from ATA.

Reading the article above about Southwest downsizing in Baltimore is very interesting. I know ATA is selling assets in Bankruptcy. The article said AirTran and made me wonder if they were confusing the two companies (ATA and AirTran) again. I think a lot of people will be watching Southwest. They seem to be poised to enter into new markets no one ever thought you'd see them in (Denver, Mexican and Canadian code share partners, and now Laguardia).

SWA is only "downsizing" the number of gates in BWI, not the number of flights.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/local/bal-md.southwest22nov22,0,3815088.story

It's all about gate utilization. We normally get more flights per gate per day than any other carrier.

Seems we want to optimize the BWI operation.

WN has bid to purchase 14 LGA slots from ATA through the BK proceedings. Currently, AirTran leases 12 of those slots from ATA.
Thanks, I was beginning to get dizzy trying to figure out who had what. Now I see. I wonder if AirTran had an opportunity to purchase these slots earlier. Looks like AirTran was trumped again by Southwest. Here at AirTran we keep hearing "We have the best management team in the industry" For those wondering, here is the score:

1. Southwest trumps AirTran for gates in Midway.
2. AirTran gets outbid by Northwest and TPG for Midwest.
3. AirTran fails to settle contract with pilots.
4. Southwest purchases 14 Laguardia slots (12 of which AirTran leases) from ATA.

Best management in the industry?

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back