• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Southwest to Newark!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
He is just so happy to be finally travelling somewhere other than stateside. Enjoy it while its new and fun, because it WILL get old. Always remember, "No matter how good looking she is, some guy, somewhere is sick of her sh1t." To each his own.

You're right, it's relatively easy. After 4 years at a regional, 9 at an intl supplemental, and now 2 here, there's major benefits to being domestic. I don't have issues with foreign agencies, no overfly permits to deal with, no chance customs in Bishkek wants to go home before my flight arrives, weather is (fairly) trustworthy and timely, I have ASD coverage so I can see where every one of my flights are at all times in relation to the weather. No language barriers. I don't worry about catering (don't any way). Getting fuel isn't an issue. I don't have to fill out Gen Decs or insure customs is updated on the latest arrival times. Eurocontrol doesn't reissue my flight plan six different times within a one hour window. I don't have to route around Alabama because they're doing military exercises.

So, maybe up in your sheep-skinned seat international travel is this glorious event, but from a position that actually has to plan the thing, it's almost more hassle than it's worth. ETOPS is nice and effective at moving people across the pond more efficiently on two engined aircraft, but it's not like you're taking the yellow brick road to Oz.

You said you had 9 years at an INTL supplemental, is that right? What is that exactly? If you look at DL's dispatch area, you would be amazed (from what I hear anyway ;) ). They deal with planes all around the globe, and then have a large amount of domestic stuff to deal with. I believe there are 50 meterologists on staff too, so the operation is quite impressive, add to that 13 different fleet types and mx control that has to deal with all of them. A very large and secure building handles all of that stuff, probably. ;)

Bye Bye--General Lee

He is just so happy to be finally travelling somewhere other than stateside. Enjoy it while its new and fun, because it WILL get old. Always remember, "No matter how good looking she is, some guy, somewhere is sick of her sh1t." To each his own.

The key is that you can switch back and forth, INTL to DOM, anytime there is a bid unless you are under a seat hold on a certain aircraft.(if you get on the 777, the seat hold is 2 years---and not a lot of domestic stuff on that plane etc) Right now it is fun, and being senior I get most of the trips I want, and the days off. I will wait until I can hold Captain on a plane I want to fly, and not be on reserve. In the meantime, I am having a blast. Being able to have a choice on where you want to fly (domestic vs international), and what you want to fly (767 vs a 777), is a great thing, and some airlines don't have a choice, which is sad.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Last edited:
You said you had 9 years at an INTL supplemental, is that right? What is that exactly?

Bye Bye--General Lee

Exactly as it sounds...a supplemental carrier that operates internationally. I didn't think I'd have to spell EVERYTHING out for you.

Suddenly starting to become worried about those Delta passengers on your aircraft if you're unable to figure some of this stuff out. (see I can be overly dramatic, too)

Moon-dog country.......Where nothing spells lovin like marrying your cousin!
But at least she didn't buy her job and get turned down by southwest!:laugh::laugh:

What about your stoooopid commercials about going NONSTOP? Those two captains sound like Bo and Luke Dumbazz. And what about the classic lady saying "We're not saying the others are BAD, We're just AWESOME...." Look into her eyes next time when she says that---seriously psycho. Probably your current girlfriend.

And when you talk about passengers wanting to leave this airline for that, you have to remember that mostly we are talking about different type passengers. You tout your customer service, yet you have no live TVs or movies, no first class sections for longer flights, no real meals (via First Class tickets) and no real difference in service to offer business people. Instead, you have a goofy American Idol strike out who wants to play the banjo on the PA and annoy people who want to sleep.

And guess what about the bag fees? They make the Legacies MILLIONs of dollars. Why should you care about that policy or not? Don't you want profit sharing checks? Charges for this, charges for that---does that really bother you as a pilot? Really? Do you tear up while talking about it? You and SKC need a tissue.

Bye Bye--General Lee

That's all you got General? Really?

You are just too easy. I crack the door and you go busting through it with our commercials and your seat back entertainment? Really?

You are truely out of touch with the traveling public. It must be the riverboat jacket and hat are too tight after all your sundaes.

Try this..

Your ticket agents are rude. Flight attendants are rude.

The passenger don't like to be gauged at the counter over their bags.

The gate agents act like the passengers are a bother for them.

Flights are NEVER held for late connecting passengers....and the gate agents say 'too bad you didn't make it', then go on break.

Flights are cancelled routinely without regard for passenger accommodation.

This is what happens at YOUR airline everyday and you don't care. It's incredible. You come back with 'yeah but we have seat back entertainment'! Yea, that will fix it...

Truely out of touch. I guess I shouldn't complain, its great for Southwest business model, that takes care of their CUSTOMERS!!

Job security is a beautiful thing, thanks General.

Don't you want profit sharing checks?

Bye Bye--General Lee

We do get profit sharing checks.

GL, do you ever lay awake at night wondering what it's like to work for a company that is consistently profitable? A company that you never have to wonder if the check is going to bounce? A company where furlough isn't as commonly used as bid packet? Hopefully mother Delta provided a binky for you in those scary times.

DL 737s don't go to ELP, MD88s do. And, although DL does have 737-800s and 737-700s, I don't think they are necessarily better than the rest of the world, but having First Class and the ability to eat some free food that is better than your kibble and bits at SWA, is a good thing. If you don't think so, well, your head must be spinning from your 5 legs yesterday between BWI and TUS. Too funny is right. Do you need a tissue?

Bye Bye--General Lee

Common General,

We all know you fly the Euro-routes with all those "slim" hotties in the red wrap-around, but I think it's been too long since you actually flew around domestic 48. Free food in first? Maybe twix bars and sun chips. Possible coast to coast you get a meal, but pretty rare. At least you get free booze. Maybe that's the idea - get so hammered you forget about what service used to be like in first class. I used to get a first class meal every time flying out of LGA to wherever. Was pretty good eatin back in the day. Delta even used to have some hot stews that were actually nice to pilots. And have you checked out customer service in A or B concourse these days? Yikes.

Can you even get in first class domestic anymore? At least "Delta" takes the pressure off now in many markets and puts an RJ on it - oh wait some of those regionals even have first class now. So all those "Delta" pilots can fly your pax to YYZ and YUL and all those other too many to mention cities that used to be mainline. Pardon me while I rinse with "scope".... Oh, and don't forget that "Delta" RJ that flies ATL-ELP flown by someone besides a Delta pilot ....

Glad that international gig is working out. I know it's all about "choices" and all, but plenty of my buds say their "choice" is not much of one - believe it or not (standby - you mght need a box of tissues for this reality check) but not all Delta pilots like flying international. Can't nap well in 1/c seat with fattie F/a bumping into super cool sound proof privacy curtain and body clock gets AFU. I know, we've all heard your tired old argument about the great domestic and int'l options, but my buds say pay and QOL sucks so bad domestic that they just gut it out and tell themselves how cool and easy it is to only have two legs on a three day across the pond. But privately over beers they say international kind of sucks for various reasons.

Funny when you're bashing SWA you never mention all those domestic cities that both and Delta fly to. Sometimes we share the van and sometimes Delta crews ask us how much better discount Southwest gets at the same hotel. Ask around, but I guess you never leave the E concourse.

But, I think it's FANTASTIC you like the ER. Maybe someday Southwest will fly into ATL and JFK so we can hear ATC wish you well on your way out. It makes me need a tissue right now ....

Last edited:
How long did it take you guys again to just learn VNAV and use the new PFDs? And, how do you guys do in the overrun category? Need a little help with that? Maybe you guys need to call an RJ operator and ask them how to manage speed on rollout.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Nice job showing your ClASS again. We run 3200 flights a day. 1,168,000 take off and landings a year. We have had a few problems, but for the most part have a bad-ASS safety record. I've seen the news reports. Fortunately a few horrible incidents have not defined a remarkable airline.

Once again:

Job security, paycheck, employee relations, one of the top companys in the US to work for, 35 yrs of annual profits = SWA.

In your next contract...LOL, LOL, LOL, HA, HA, HA, HA, LOL. Right around the corner right?

Speaking of RJ operators, how many RJ's have your sack-less pilot group and alpo allowed to be farmed out in the delta system?

Latest resources

Back