Southwest to Newark!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
1-2-3 went away....almost a year ago.

LAS is a pilot domicile....as of almost three years ago...and SWA does not schedule layovers in domiciles

Beyond that, I completely agree with your post! :D

1-2-3 is alive and well at the Circus Circus even though SWA doesn't stay there. Good thing CAL is no longer there starting this month, what a trailer park. We also stayed at the Radisson at the MSY airport where SWA stays and the bar stays open until the last SWA crew gets in and the 1-2-3 rule is alive and well there according to the bar tender as of May. However, we stay at the Hilton airport now.

No biggy

just some more military guys will have to go out and buy a job.... oops I mean Type rating and be based in EWR (Have Fun!) Enjoy that!

Not to worry, Southwest is just a flash in the pan.......they won't last.......they don't pay for their aircraft, or maintenance........
OH, wait.......that's us.......

Ummmm what? Can you have a broken APU across the Atlantic? Nope. Do you even know what an ETOPS check is before EACH crossing? That is a lot more than just a visual check by an FO. And you shouldn't be bragging about your SWA mx procedures, since the bad press lately points to some "interesting" stuff going on. Didn't you guys keep certain planes flying for months when they were supposed to be fixed? Weren't they older 733s? Should I look up the story for you? Oh wait, here it is:

YO SKC, clean up your own messes before criticizing others.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Since you obviously didn't read my message, it clearly refers to MEL items that are not ETOPS critical (i.e. the reference to a passenger convenience item). Your first message said "nothing broken" which is clearly not correct.

Prior to life here in SWAland, I was with an ETOPS carrier, so SWA mx procedures have absolutely no bearing on what I know about ETOPS (not to mention completely irrelevant to this conversation).

Do you even know what an ETOPS check is before EACH crossing? That is a lot more than just a visual check by an FO.
Bye Bye---General Lee

You're right, you have to draw your course out on a plotting chart. Verify your route is within the 180 min range. Check weather at your ETOPS alternates. What else am I missing?

Do you have to actually make the position reports yourselves or are those automatic?

Tough stuff.

I love it when the General is 0 for 8 within a few days with his arguements. Just doesn't have any solid ground to stand on.

Hey General, the customer service at SW is what keeps bringing the passengers back, and your passengers headed our way.

Just talked to a businessman who said he can't stand how Delta..

Charges for bags

Charges to talk to someone on the phone

Charges for a small reservation change

Charges for curbside check in

it just goes on and on.

You're right, you have to draw your course out on a plotting chart. Verify your route is within the 180 min range. Check weather at your ETOPS alternates. What else am I missing?

Do you have to actually make the position reports yourselves or are those automatic?

Tough stuff.

GL likes to keep the myth alive of how tough that roundtrip to Germany & back is. Don't spoil his party.

Now Quimby, hang on a second. GL has to figure out what the "9999" in the vis section of the METAR is across the pond. Do you have to pull out your Lucky Charms magic decoder ring to figure out what the metric equivalent is to 1/2SM?

Tough stuff.

Depends on which plane you have, some have CPDLC and some do not. Also, if your APU is inop, you have to fly closer to the coast incase something does fail (not 180 ETOPS anymore), which means you probably won't get one of the normal tracks, meaning you will be spending a lot more money going out of the way. So, in reality, that just doesn't hardly ever happen. INTL flying really does ROCK. SWA can have it's 5 or 6 leg domestic days to LBB. And being a SWA dispatcher yourself, it must be kinda boring for you too. No INTL cities to check, no INTL coordination when things go wrong, instead---you just have to call Sally in MAF or Duane in LBB and make sure there are peanunts ready to go when the flight from Vegas gets there, and check the local weather-----clear and 100 degrees F. Good for you. Sounds rough.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Last edited:
GL likes to keep the myth alive of how tough that roundtrip to Germany & back is. Don't spoil his party.

The thing is, it really isn't that tough. I enjoy it because it is easier than multi leg domestic flying. That is the point. It is a First Class buffet dinner (lots of choices for meals and desserts on the flights) all the way to Happy Hour in Europe. And, when the legs are over 8 hours long each, think how many LAS to ONT hops could be done within that time? That is the point guys, you will just never understand. Too bad.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back