• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Southwest posts loss on buyouts, hedging

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Carl get a life.... are you that caught up in your previous military "life" that you get offended when people use words that are usually used in reference with the military....seriously...move one.

Actually I agree that the use of "Warrior" is utterly pathetic. I wish they would stop using it. I think Carl is correct. After all, why stop there, let's call all our pilots "fighter pilots", our FAs "attack ninja attendants" and our rampers "killer bag throwers".

Yeah....right, who has ever heard of the 'Random House Dictionary"?????

Here's the Oxford English Dictionary's def:
Warrior

noun (especially in former times) a brave or experienced soldier or fighter. [SIZE=-1]— ORIGIN[/SIZE] Old French werreior, guerreior, from guerre ‘war’

Nothing to do with people working in the transportation industry trying to make more money for their CEOs bonus.

war·ri·or [ wáwree ər ] (plural war·ri·ors)

noun Definition: 1. fighter: somebody who takes part in or is experienced in warfare

2. somebody in conflict: somebody who takes part in a struggle or conflict

here is another one....still makes sense to me....we are in a struggle with other airlines to capture market share and make money......

Yeah....right, who has ever heard of the 'Random House Dictionary"?????

Here's the Oxford English Dictionary's def:
Warrior

noun (especially in former times) a brave or experienced soldier or fighter. [SIZE=-1]— ORIGIN[/SIZE] Old French werreior, guerreior, from guerre ‘war’

Nothing to do with people working in the transportation industry trying to make more money for their CEOs bonus.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/warrior

Pegasus,

this America buddy, we speak colonial English, not the Queen's. I'll take Merriam-Webster over the OED when it comes to our usage any day. you'll notice that the second, broad definition fits the whole SWA red bellied warrriors thing. getting pissy over the use of the word is sort of lame. nobody is claiming they deserve an air medal for that crosswind landing in LAS.

Main Entry: war·rior
Pronunciation: \ˈwȯr-yər, ˈwȯr-ē-ər, ˈwär-ē- also ˈwär-yər\
Function: noun
Usage: often attributive
Etymology: Middle English werreour, from Anglo-French *werreier, guerreier, from warreier, guerreier to wage war, from werre war — more at war
Date: 14th century
: a man engaged or experienced in warfare; broadly : a person engaged in some struggle or conflict <poverty warriors>

Herb called Southwest employees "Warriors" since the airlines inception. As in, having the "warrior spirit". Geez.

"Pegasus

this America buddy, we speak colonial English, not the Queen's. I'll take Merriam-Webster over the OED when it comes to our usage any day. you'll notice that the second, broad definition fits the whole SWA red bellied warrriors thing. getting pissy over the use of the word is sort of lame"

Robert,I am not getting pissy, just voicing my opinion. You'll get lots of those if you get elected!!

Latest resources

Back