• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Southwest posts loss on buyouts, hedging

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Difference is Southwest has a LOT of assets. Most of the legacies have already leveraged everything that is not nailed down. Southwest can lease back a lot of airplanes for a lot of cash. Plus most of the routes they fly THEY control pricing. Sourthwest is waiting for someone to die. They have just started the bleeding Untied has been doing for 9 years. And theirs is just a flesh wound. Compare balance sheets and you will see two completely different companies. They Year end report showed around $14 billion in just aircraft assets. . Plus they bought back over a billion dollars in stock last year. Probably not the greatest Idea but all that stock sitting around can be used like cash. Don't cry for Southwest yet.

Last edited:
No worries.....

........for SWA. Compared to other airlines, in good and bad economic times, they still, and will continue to do JUST FINE! I once attened a SWA job information session at BWI. They told me that the airline can buy new 737's with cash. If this is true, the airline can't be doing that bad.

Well, well

I'm actually quite proud of my pilot bretheren, on this thread at least.

A little loss to SWA has taken some of the SWA bravado down a few notches to a healthy pride in one's company.

I havn't detected any ill wishers wishing doom and gloom on one of the only airlines that appeared to have a sustaining business model.

Good luck to us all in this economy!

I have always been proud to work for SWA. My pay has always been decent, if not outstanding.

The problem I have been having for the past couple of years is internal attitude. We, from the top down, don't treat each other like we used to. My biggest, slightly unrelated, beef is codeshare.

Gup

....say what you want....all airlines are bleeding now and the first to lose all their blood will be gone. I hope someone goes because it will be good for the industry as a whole....anyone saying otherwise can't see the big picture....

OK, how about your airline?

Latest resources

Back