• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Southwest Pilots Aggressively Push Age 65

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You telling me that only 64% of those eligible voted !?!?!?!?! Wow, you ALPA guys just won't get involved, will you?....I believe that on this one, all they were looking for is a majority...one way or the other...

You are right, it's not a mandate....but they asked the membership to vote so the MEC could take a position on this issue....They got a majority.

Tejas
You mean "you senior ALPA guys just won't get involved." 755 (or whatever the number was) cared enough to vote against change the rule. 36% of the overall senior pilots didn't care enough to vote to change it (a tacit approval of the rule, in my opinion). 1400+ junior USAir pilots' opinions were not allowed to be heard on the subject.

You telling me that only 64% of those eligible voted !?!?!?!?! Wow, you ALPA guys just won't get involved, will you?....I believe that on this one, all they were looking for is a majority...one way or the other...

You are right, it's not a mandate....but they asked the membership to vote so the MEC could take a position on this issue....They got a majority.

Tejas

Tejas,

Are you a SWAPA guy? I wouldn't be rippin' on ALPA about their voter turnout, ours is never much better.

Expect another vote at SWAPA. The stance will more than likely change.

Tejas

Not really....How this "one-vote majority" will be handled by the MEC is not clear yet. I fail to see how they can take a position when the majority is one vote? That simply doesn't make sense. We shall see.

In any event, what this does or not does has little real meaning.

If history is a guide...

In any event, what this does or not does has little real meaning.

Probably true. Congress and/or the FAA will do as they wish, based upon their own interests. Will they listen to pilot opinions? Sure. Will those opinions influence their decision? No.

Tejas,

Are you a SWAPA guy? I wouldn't be rippin' on ALPA about their voter turnout, ours is never much better.

But, if you've read some of the comments on these boards, you will read a bunch of negative comments about how "ALPA is the reason that we had a cut in pay"....or ...."the reason I am furloughed"....or "ALPA took my pension"...or blaming Duane for all the ills of the organization....

Yet nobody talks about getting involved to make some change happen....Remember the SWAPA guy who did the legwork to get a vote on the 1 yr extension? At least he did what he had to do to get it done...even though the vote didn't go his way.

How many LEC's have passed resolutions to have Duane Woerth removed as ALPA president? None...I'll bet...but you got tons of guys complaining about him....

I'll bet any ALPA member a dinner at "The Palm" restaurant that Duane is re-elected as ALPA President later this month....

...any takers?

Tejas

No way, I hear you with the Duane rhetoric, but not this time. That idiot hopefully will be shown what "Real, Stand up" people do. (meaning take him outback and lock him out)

I propose the legislature inact a law banning forgien carriers from using pilots over the age of 65 on flights that transit the US. I would also suggest a warning label be placed on the sides of all forgien carrier aircraft stating "warning this aircraft maybe operated by pilots over the age of 65" That way we know the issue is really safety and not just discrimination.

I agree with Ben, except the disclaimer should read..."over 60" instead of 65. D@mn feriners. D@mn old feriners.

Latest resources

Back