• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Southwest Pilots Aggressively Push Age 65

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Nah. That's the reason why there will always be a pilot under age 60 able to reach the brakes.
I can remember telling a Captain multiple times the altitude cleared to, with him insisting on me calling ATC again so that he could hear it. I obliged. I still chuckle at what the controller was thinking - probably 'can't this greenhorn remember his clearance?' Yes, I could. However, I had a crusty old Captain on the train to Alzheimersville unable to remember the cleared altitude until he heard it seven times.

Andy,

I could.......On second thought, I'm just not going to waist my time.

Nah. That's the reason why there will always be a pilot under age 60 able to reach the brakes.
I can remember telling a Captain multiple times the altitude cleared to, with him insisting on me calling ATC again so that he could hear it. I obliged. I still chuckle at what the controller was thinking - probably 'can't this greenhorn remember his clearance?' Yes, I could. However, I had a crusty old Captain on the train to Alzheimersville unable to remember the cleared altitude until he heard it seven times.

The aviation world sure is lucky to have an individual of your talents. Maybe you could volunteer your services to fly with everyone and keep all us losers out of trouble. When I'm not sure of a clearance I just guess and hope for the best. Better that than to let my gifted F/O to think poorly of me. It was really big of you to stoop so low as to actually clarify a clearance. Get over yourself, you have proven to be a moron.

Last edited:
My personal situation has nothing to do with the overall merits of changing the "age 60 Rule".
Sure it does.

YOU always maintained that YOU took the job YOU did because they had an 135 operation that would allow YOU to fly until YOU'RE 65. The FAA took that away from YOU and now YOU have to find a way to make ends meet. It is about YOUR personal situation.

I know, you stuffed envelopes about this age 60 rule back when you were in short pants, but if the FAA hadn't changed that rule on you, and you were allowed to fly part 135 until 65, would you be this adamant about the rule change for the part 121 folks? Be honest.

Because the law is wrong, ageism and age discrimination simply must not be institutionalized by a federal law such as we now have in Section 121.383(c) of the Federal Aviation Administration Regulations, commonly referred to as the FAA’s “Age 60 Rule”.

So why aren't you fighting to lower the "age 23" rule?

The decision on age 60 should be made on the basis of whether or not it is safe to have pilots over age 60 flying transport aircraft. It should not be made on the balances of pilots' retirement plans.

You guys might want to add the US Airways pilots to this list. I heard that today they voted to have their MEC adopt an official stance for the repeal of the Age 60 rule.

US Airways too? not so fast...

Yeah, the so-called vote was a 1-vote margin:

With 64 percent of the eligible voting:
756 pilots voted yes.
755 pilots voted no. A one vote difference

No mandate there...

756 pilots voted yes.

No mandate there...
Exactly. When was the junior guy at US Air hired? 1990? I wonder if any of the 1400+ pilots on furlough had a chance to voice their opinion. I'm guessing the vote would have gone 756 to 2155. Sure, it's all about safety...

756 pilots voted yes.

No mandate there...

You telling me that only 64% of those eligible voted !?!?!?!?! Wow, you ALPA guys just won't get involved, will you?....I believe that on this one, all they were looking for is a majority...one way or the other...

You are right, it's not a mandate....but they asked the membership to vote so the MEC could take a position on this issue....They got a majority.

Tejas

Latest resources

Back