• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Southwest pilot talks proceed quietly

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Good point, but does hauling a jumpseater or two around on a Cargo plane make that company a pax operation?
A little UPS History from http://www.airliners.net/articles/read.main?id=66

The company filled its normally empty aircraft, which didn’t operate on the weekend, with passengers bound for sunny destinations such as the Bahamas and Purta Plata, Mexico.
“It was a matter of asset utilization,” Spalding said. “Instead of having planes sit idly on the weekends, we used them for passenger service, to generate more revenue.”

[FONT=ARIAL, Helvetica, Geneva]View Large View Medium

A Quick-Change (QC) 727-100 waits for its most precious cargo. Photo © Andy Vanderheyden
[/FONT][FONT=ARIAL, Helvetica, Geneva]View Large View Medium

Passengers deplaning from a UPS' passenger flight aboard their 727-100QC. Photo © AirNikon
[/FONT]

Almost all o the passengers flying “brown” liked the service. In a 1997 interview by a Philadelphia Inquirer staff writer, a passenger noted that she found the meal to be average plane food, but thought the rest of the amenities – from available legroom to cabin-crew service – surprising and pleasant. Most notably, comments came in quips from curious passengers who wondered what a flight on a cargo airline would be like. Flight Attendant Walt Marek said that while greeting customers as they boarded the plane, on almost every flight, when passengers poked their heads through the door for the first time, they exclaimed in mock surprise, “Seats!” One passenger wanted to know if they were going to have to sort mail. Perhaps Flight Attendant Jeff Riddle’s comments best describe the company’s feelings about its new service, “Airline service is all about complaining. People expect a bad flight. Here, we get to turn that belief around. I’m very proud of my job.”
The company’s 727s were modified to seat up to 113 passengers and had 1 to 3 inches more legroom than the coach sections of most airlines. It took 3 to 4 hours to convert the planes. UPS used contact personnel for ticketing and in-flight service. The company was reported to have spent two and a half-million dollars per aircraft, per conversion, which included seats, galleys, overhead bins, and restrooms.
During its first year, the company flew 50,000 passengers. The next year, 124,000. In the first five weeks alone of 2000, UPS’ passenger service carried 11,000 passengers. Most of the passengers were booked through a vacation charter service.
But, despite the impressive books and twenty-million dollars in revenue, a UPS passenger airline was short lived...
“Our passenger service was discontinued in 2001; our competitors were seating close to 200 people per aircraft. For us to remain competitive, we would have had to invest long-term in the venture. Instead, we decided to discontinue the service and focus on our core business of parcel delivery.” Said Spalding.

I didnt know this when I got on here, but we do have a "B plan"...it's profitsharing and it goes up and down with the company...I think of it as being "gravy" to my retirement but my wife works and really enjoys working. I would not feel secure with an A fund....unless I was at FDX or UPS...just give me money in my own name at an airline. There is opportunity to make some real good money here at SWA, but it aint for everyone...I love it here for the QOL and flexibility, but if you want the real money, fly boxes and live in a palace in Memphis or Louisville. I'm poorer here but I make enough to be happy and enjoy my job. I really hope we (and they) dont fug it up...but things are changing now. SWA used to care about the internal customer...now they dont near as much...just seem to care about the numbers right now

I didnt know this when I got on here, but we do have a "B plan"...it's profitsharing and it goes up and down with the company...I think of it as being "gravy" to my retirement but my wife works and really enjoys working. I would not feel secure with an A fund....unless I was at FDX or UPS...just give me money in my own name at an airline. There is opportunity to make some real good money here at SWA, but it aint for everyone...I love it here for the QOL and flexibility, but if you want the real money, fly boxes and live in a palace in Memphis or Louisville. I'm poorer here but I make enough to be happy and enjoy my job. I really hope we (and they) dont fug it up...but things are changing now. SWA used to care about the internal customer...now they dont near as much...just seem to care about the numbers right now

Nothing is a B-Plan except a B-Plan.

The PS is into the 401K as an employer contribution. 401K suffer from limits/testing and other IRC restrictions on the amounts an employee and employer can contribute per year. If these limits are triggered excess (as defined by the IRC HCE testing) employee and employer contributions are sent to the employee as taxable income.

Read the contract.

A B-Plan does not have these limits.

Splert...

“Our passenger service was discontinued in 2001..

We flew 727's in the '70s, are we still a 727 operator?

In other news, whey does everyone care whether we have a B-plan or not? I don't care, no one here cares, why do yall care?
I believe that with our pay, 401k, and profit sharing that our compensation package is good.

In other news, whey does everyone care whether we have a B-plan or not? I don't care, no one here cares, why do yall care?
I believe that with our pay, 401k, and profit sharing that our compensation package is good.
Most importantly the 401K is out of the grasp of current and future airline management

Splert, Yeah, you're right, but it is just like a B plan in every other respect...I know it's no the same but it is a sizable piece of the retirement puzzle and it has happened every year for a long time except for the years when everyone else is furloughing or taking pay cuts...those I cannot take

In other news, whey does everyone care whether we have a B-plan or not?

Because it makes it harder for the rest of us to hold on to it if you guys don't have one. I'm sure AirTran management would love to replace our 10.5% B-plan with your 401k plan.

Because it makes it harder for the rest of us to hold on to it if you guys don't have one. I'm sure AirTran management would love to replace our 10.5% B-plan with your 401k plan.

Likewise, I am sure SWA management would love to pay SWA pilots your payrates.

Latest resources

Back