• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Southwest new hire pay

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
6 years here and about 175 a year. Live in domicile and average about 13-14 days off. I say if living out west is not an issue and long upgrade doesn't bother you come on over. :beer:

(Your peers at the big 3 legacies will be climbing the ladder a lot faster towards better quality of life thanks to huge retirements, plus a choice of different types of flying, like domestic vs INTL long haul.)
GL,
the way things are going there is only going to 2 big legacies, the only ladder UAL is climbing is to bankruptcy, maybe SWA will take over that coveted third spot - NA not a chance.

How long are new hires on reserve in Oakland ?

I'm a new hire and didn't even get OAK. I would think you could get off RSV there fairly quickly.

There are still hundreds of AT pilots to transition, so that will slow movement for a year or so.

What people fail to comprehend about SWA is the potential for international growth. Once the integration is complete, you're going to see a big push to add several near international cities. They're already shopping for -700s that they can put to work quickly.

Will you fly a 777 to Hong Kong? Not for a long time, if ever. You can count on anything within the range of the -700/800.

Personally, flying around the globe, waking up in weird time zones and getting stomach bugs doesn't appeal to me. Some of us are perfectly happy bouncing around the good ol' US, enjoying great benefits and having a blast at work.

Unfortunately, some cannot understand why we don't think like they do, and don't want to fly what they fly. That's why there are so many haters out there.

I respect everyone else's career decisions, their choice of employer, and hope they are proud of what they do, just as I am.

I'm a new hire and didn't even get OAK. I would think you could get off RSV there fairly quickly.

Where did you end up? I hear they have been splitting classes between OAK, PHX and LAS. I think one guy was able to get to DAL in a month or two. I understand DAL will probably be growing a bit with the end of the Wright Amendment.

My class was split between PHX, OAK and LAS. Some have already gotten MDW. DAL has had some vacancies and Jan hires have already gotten it. The schedule changes in Oct/Nov will likely bring a lot more openings for both seats.

"Fonzi" jacket, multiple leg days, one plane type, quick turns on the ground..

But also great pay, disgruntled 1/3 of the group, and a management that WAS pro-pilot a few years ago. Oh yeah, and some stagnation.

Your peers at the big 3 legacies will be climbing the ladder a lot faster towards better quality of life thanks to huge retirements, plus a choice of different types of flying, like domestic vs INTL long haul.

Good luck with your own choice.

Bye Bye---General Lee

General Lee,

You forgot to mention the 88 B717s! You can't fly those at Southwest!

There are still hundreds of AT pilots to transition, so that will slow movement for a year or so.

What people fail to comprehend about SWA is the potential for international growth. Once the integration is complete, you're going to see a big push to add several near international cities. They're already shopping for -700s that they can put to work quickly.

Will you fly a 777 to Hong Kong? Not for a long time, if ever. You can count on anything within the range of the -700/800.

Personally, flying around the globe, waking up in weird time zones and getting stomach bugs doesn't appeal to me. Some of us are perfectly happy bouncing around the good ol' US, enjoying great benefits and having a blast at work.

Unfortunately, some cannot understand why we don't think like they do, and don't want to fly what they fly. That's why there are so many haters out there.

I respect everyone else's career decisions, their choice of employer, and hope they are proud of what they do, just as I am.

Excellent post FO. International growth is going to be fun to watch. The new terminal in HOU will be coming out of the ground soon. Three cranes up already. FLL to follow..

Some of the recent new hires are all the way east already. Most junior in MDW was hired Jan 2014.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back