• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Southwest Is Waiting in the Wings

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
There also "exists the possibility" that we might form up in worldwide alliance with Richard Branson's airline empire. Rumors are flying around here that he has been talking with Herb. My prediction: We will be ok competing with your mega CAL/AA and BA trainwreck although the name Virgin might need to be reconsidered if we are to be in this group.

This is a joke, right? We couldn't be that lucky.

Southwest is not in the business of putting other airlines out of business. ;)[/quote]

No, they are very sly when it comes to that. See John Dennison and ATA.

ESPRIT

My prediction: The SWA political machine will go into full opposition mode. SWA favors the illusion there is competition, not actual competition.

I disagree with your prediction....SWA's mgmt could care less who ties up in any "alliance" with ...who-ever. Note that SWA didn't make a peep when AA did a code share with BA...nor with UAL and US Air being a part of the so-called "Star Alliance".

they can do whatever they want with each other.

Latest announcement....more flights to be added at DEN in August...gee...and the May 10 flight increase at DEN hasn't even started yet....

More flight choices, more destinations for the Customer to/from DEN....lower fares...no matter who the Customer chooses to fly...

I call BS Tejas. This is totally different. If CAL/AA/BA get to affiliate in the same manner as NWA and CAL wanted to 10 years ago, SWA will start squealing. Now, it's a bit of a stretch to think CAL/AA/BA will get passed the DOJ, but it's probably closer than ever before.

I like the notion that my airline (CAL) wants to take the battle to the biggest/best airline out there (SWA) right on the home turf. I know it's a lot more fun for guys like you to delight in tearing apart small airlines. (Gotta love the whole "it's them or us" SWA mantra when you're talking about a small airline) I hope we get to see this! Figuratively speaking: I want a piece of your discounter a$$! And I know AMR feels the same way. NYC and ORD are important, but this will be won or lost in Texas where: you don't serve IAH or DFW! So I don't see how you're going to similiarly affiliate with any airline like Virgin (or whomever). SWA will be either backed into a corner or caught in a crossfire.

The talk around Dallas is that Herb and Gary have hired Leeroy Jenkins to head up the Denver expansion.

The end of that clip is the best - "Least I have chicken!" Classic............:laugh:

Last edited:
SWA will be either backed into a corner or caught in a crossfire.

OR, we will wait until there is a cockfight in the valley, and then we will push the boulders off the cliffs and start flying flights from the top of the canyon.

Here we grow again...

05-09-2008 | Growth in DEN Means Fewer Aircraft Retirements this Year

On Wednesday, Southwest Announced new DEN service for the second time in two weeks. Beginning August 4, 2008, Southwest will add: Two new daily nonstop roundtrips between DEN and SMF; One new daily nonstop roundtrip between DEN and FLL; One new daily nonstop roundtrip between DEN and MSY; One additional daily nonstop roundtrip between DEN and PHX (for a total of seven).
During a time when the industry is constantly fluctuating, our flexibility allows us the ability to move quickly and decisively with our growth plans. Originally, Southwest had planned to retire 22 aircraft in 2008. Based on strong Customer demand for our growing Denver service, that decision was reversed on two of those aircraft with our announcement on April 22 of new service from DEN to PDX and IND, and additional service from DEN to LAS and SAT. With the new Denver service announcement above, we have again reversed our decision to retire two additional aircraft. So, at this time we are planning to retire 18 aircraft in 2008 instead of 22. We are taking 29 deliveries in 2008, then retiring 18, so that gives us a net of 11 aircraft in 2008, bringing our estimated 2008 year-over-year ASM capacity growth to approximately four percent.

Latest resources

Back