Southwest Hiring...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Lampshade your source is wrong.

The "furloughs" rumor is a gross exaggeration on our current level of staffing, which would be "overstaffed" according to many respectable sources. I can't remember where I saw it, but we're probably overstaffed by 300 or so pilots if you do the math.

In an airline with about 6000 pilots, that's not that big of a number, and when you aren't really losing any (or much) money, furloughs would be hard to justify. Also, our current contract has some flexibility as far as hard line block time (compared to a bunch of legacy carriers), and there are many methods of dealing with massive overstaffing that are easier for all than furloughs, so I don't think we need to worry about furloughs at SWA unless things get horribly bad.

I kinda wonder the motives behind the people who started this rumor... and it's not just flamebait on FI. I'll be optimistic and say they're just ignorant and misinformed.

The "furloughs" rumor is a gross exaggeration on our current level of staffing, which would be "overstaffed" according to many respectable sources. I can't remember where I saw it, but we're probably overstaffed by 300 or so pilots if you do the math.

In an airline with about 6000 pilots, that's not that big of a number, and when you aren't really losing any (or much) money, furloughs would be hard to justify. Also, our current contract has some flexibility as far as hard line block time (compared to a bunch of legacy carriers), and there are many methods of dealing with massive overstaffing that are easier for all than furloughs, so I don't think we need to worry about furloughs at SWA unless things get horribly bad.

I kinda wonder the motives behind the people who started this rumor... and it's not just flamebait on FI. I'll be optimistic and say they're just ignorant and misinformed.

Well I hope you are right. The guy who told me said the same as being overstaffed by 300ish which isn't a problem for the summer. He had info on a possible schedule reduction that was being talked about for the fall which would he thought would require a furlough of around 100-200.

That sounds a lot like what I heard before I got the axe at Alaska. Good luck.

Don't forget that we also have about 150 in a pool right now.

I believe they were let go last year and told when hiring resumes they will have to re-interview... don't ask me about a source.

I believe they were let go last year and told when hiring resumes they will have to re-interview... don't ask me about a source.

that is bad information. the poolies remain for 18 months and then will be let go.. it has not been 18 months yet.

when did this 18 months thing start? I was in the pool for 2 years and 2 months. I hope we don't pull the 'reinterview' crap but it wouldn't surprise me with some of the stuff going on around here.

The e-mail said they MIGHT have to reinterview, more likely just another background check conducted. If we don 't have another class for 2 more years, well..............

Latest resources

Back