• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Southwest Goes Off Road'n In Chicago

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I think Southwest is probably a great place to work, but I don't like that type of flying.

You have no idea what type of place Southwest is to work at. And I could pretty much guarantee you would never of had to worry about the flying, as you would have never made it past the first interviewer. You continue to be the biggest DORK on this board. Delta sucks and you know it, or you are in big time denial.

AGAIN? Were they hurrying to make the ontime for the schedule? Did they only have 20 minutes until they had to push for CLE, and they were hungry? Jay Leno and others will have another field day on this.

BTW, happy nobody got hurt. Do you think that skid hurt the rivets in the ceiling? SLOW DOWN.......

Bye Bye---General Lee

SWA has been around since 1972.

Since 1972, Delta has 7 (SEVEN) fatal accidents, and at least one sucessful taxiway landing.

Are we allowd to land on "M," or is that special Delta thing? I think the holes in our roof caused by pressurization are nothing compared to a 767 landing on top of us. Please be careful as you are arriving from your exotic babe-laden overnights.

Glad everyone is safe. Don't envy those who operate in and out of MDW on a regular basis. I don't care what airline you are, or what the culture is, MDW is tough when the weather goes down.

SWA has been around since 1972.

Since 1972, Delta has 7 (SEVEN) fatal accidents, and at least one sucessful taxiway landing.

Are we allowd to land on "M," or is that special Delta thing? I think the holes in our roof caused by pressurization are nothing compared to a 767 landing on top of us. Please be careful as you are arriving from your exotic babe-laden overnights.

Good points...and very funny....except...Delta doesn't land on taxiways repetitively. However, runway overuns, for SWA, what is this, the third?

There is an operational pattern here that is becoming a problem for SWA. It is evident also from the high speed taxi rates many of us witness each day. Hey, maybe the incentive being dangled is worth bending the airframe, but it seems counter culture to what is bragged about.

T8

I am glad that everyone is ok.. For all the southwest haters out there what is wrong did you get turned down for a job? I interviewed there a few times and was turned down becaues of some little child that works there that does not like me. yes I have family on the inside and this is how i know. I do not hold Southwest or any of the professional people that work responsable there for his short commings.. I Went on to flying the wale trash haulin and could not be happier now. I never had thought about doing this untill I was turned down.. If I ever see this guy I will buy him a beer and thank him.. I think it is time for some of you to grow up..everything happens for a reason.. As for all the talk of why the FAA wont shutdown southwest give me a break they do a great job and all airlines have there accidents and problems.. Also with all the problems that we have in this job why would anyone want to see another airline die and more of our fellow pilots out of work? think about it!! To all the Southwest guys and girls keep doing..

...and reopen El Toro Air Station.

3/21 3,900' Asphalt
7L/25R 8,000' Asphalt
7R/25L 8,000' Asphalt
16L/34R 10,000' Concrete
16R/34L 10,000' Concrete

A recreational area?! A filming location?! While 200K# planes land and takeoff on a 5000' runway.

Geez!

They have already chopped up several of the shorter runways at El Toro.

Maybe for these reasons..

1- Best safety record in the industry, bar none.
2- Great customer service to the majority of px in the nation.
3- Great QOL and wages for every single employee.
4- 40yrs of profitiblity.
5- No RJ feed.

I through that last one in there just for you Scope!

6- paid for your job because you couldn't interview anywhere else
7- 6 legs a day makes you way underpaid compared to me ( ( didn't have to buy my job)
8- convertibles are now optional?
9- can't seem to land on runways and keep it there.

I threw that last one in there for you redflyer since you guys seem to go through the end of runways!

Guys- I've said it before- hating is a compliment. The biggest compliment. The difference is that I can say that Delta's a good place to work- trading International flying for a company that would like to ******************** you - but THEY can't say that swa is a great place to work. So wrapped in an antagonistic-> apathetic labor-> mgmt relationship they can't conceive it being any other way and ultimately resent any airline that isn't fighting that battle. It's irrational at best- They should all be pointing at swa and using us as an example of how they'd like to be treated and paid- but they don't.
Maybe because I don't want to pay for my job.
Maybe because I don't want to fly 6 legs a day.
Maybe because we weren't the catalysts for age 65
Maybe because when you were flying your rj, southwest was the lowest paid airline out there.
Maybe if you had half a clue you'd be believable.

They find every strange excuse to bash. It's pathetic.
So hate on, brethren. I'll keep laughing at you knowing exactly what all that hating is...

More like laughing than hating. But keep working those abs, you can tell all the guys at the gym how you paid dearly for that job you so covet, and are still flying 6 legs a day to the same city pairs.:laugh:

Wow Scope, looks like a month off wasn’t enough. Still have a Medical with all that anger bottled up? Blood pressure must be off the charts. Enjoy Delta and the SW folks will be fine with the AT group joining them. Good to have you back.

High G turnoffs?

It appears Tankerhead has no understanding of turning forces applied to vehicles on the ground.

Lateral G's. Get a clue.

I think the NTSB will be able to apply the flight data recorders info to determine the accident aircrafts skidpad.

Another important number would be to know what a typical SWA aircraft experiences on a day to day basis and the stress such activity applies to the upper skins.

Skidpad
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A skidpad or skidpan is a large, circular area of flat pavement (architecture) used for various tests of a car's handling. The most common skidpad use is testing lateral acceleration, measured in g.
The test is carried out on a circular track with a calculated radius. A car driving on said track is slowly accelerated until the outermost tires on the car begin to slip. Going any faster would cause the car to drive outside the 300 ft radius. At this point, the speed of the car is recorded, and given the centripetal acceleration formula, v²/r, a car's handling in terms of lateral gs can be derived.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back