• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Southwest expects to rebound from difficult 3rd quarter

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
What, rebound from difficult 3rd quarter. What happen, only made 100,000,000 this time. Poor little airline.:crying:

This has got to be about the stupidest theory I have ever seen on how Southwest stays profitable. Make sure you tell Dateline, they would like to do a whole episode on this. As far as losing passengers, I'm sure you wouldn't dream they would leave your "passenger friendly" Northwest to fly SWA. Let's see, PHX-DTW twice a day is going great, just started DTW-BWI and get ready for DTW-MCO Daily nonstops after the New Year. I think someone in Dallas finally figured out where to get all the extra passengers, Ex-Northwest where the motto is "We're not happy 'til you're not happy". MSP to be announced soon!
The flight loads going PHX-DTW are running 91-104% today. Maybe they went to SWA becuase they couldn't find a seat on NWA. A walk on from NWA is $315 on SWA it is $319. Oh and NWA is non-stop, SWA has 1 to 2 stops. Also the PHX continues on to BWI, so you don't even have to get off the plane.

Last edited:
then tell us O' great PhD of airplanes, who is the best airline to fly for? I would hope that since you are the master of all you might be able to share an answer with us? Please factor in the companines that have not cut pay or bennies. Companies where the check continue to roll in..
That list should be real short.

Whatever one sees you through until you retire without raping you a few times along the way. I would cut out the arrogance if I were you because we have yet to see where SWA or anyone else (including UPS) will be in 30 years.

AND, end of thread, next!

Oh and NWA is non-stop, SWA has 1 to 2 stops.

Southwest Airlines Detroit to Phoenix 2 Non-Stops

FLT 1255 DTW-PHX, NS
FLT 340 DTW-PHX NS

LOWEST Walk up fare SWA $319.00, NWA $77.00 searched today

On SWA you have to make 3 stops to get from PHX to BWI.

Southwest Airlines Phoenix to Baltimore 5 Non-Stops

FLT 442 PHX-BWI NS
FLT 1617 PHX-BWI NS
FLT 1488 PHX-BWI NS
FLT 1788 PHX-BWI NS
FLT 1913 PHX-BWI NS

LOWEST Walk up fare SWA $319.00, NWA $126.00 searched today

You think maybe Northwest could charge a little more than Southwest? How does an airline who loses money charge these prices? And, where in the world do you get your information? 3 Stops? :laugh:

Southwest Airlines Detroit to Phoenix 2 Non-Stops

FLT 1255 DTW-PHX, NS
FLT 340 DTW-PHX NS

LOWEST Walk up fare SWA $319.00, NWA $77.00 searched today

Southwest Airlines Phoenix to Baltimore 5 Non-Stops

FLT 442 PHX-BWI NS
FLT 1617 PHX-BWI NS
FLT 1488 PHX-BWI NS
FLT 1788 PHX-BWI NS
FLT 1913 PHX-BWI NS

LOWEST Walk up fare SWA $319.00, NWA $126.00 searched today

You think maybe Northwest could charge a little more than Southwest? How does an airline who loses money charge these prices? And, where in the world do you get your information? 3 Stops? :laugh:
Yeah the three stops was through DTW I didn't check N/S PHX-BWI, I was wrong. You see Canyon what I'm talking about, NWA is fare matching the sales of SWA. It has $49 seats avialable, whereas SWA does not all the time. SWA advertises these fares and NWA does not. But it doesn't matter because my aunt tried to get a $49 fare to visit us in DTW on SWA, but they were all sold out within 5 min of the deal being issused back in september. Now that SWA has broken even on those flights, they have reopened the $49 seats. I know they do this because the legacies were doing it before they got the money from labor.
That's why I keep telling you guys to watch out. Especially since NWA will soon be doing LCC point to point international with the 787. The costs with that airplane are so low and the yields so high, we can literally give away free tickets on the routes we compete with SWA domestically. Why this is important is because once SWA is out of the way we can jack up prices and the exec's make billions on the backs of us.

jacka$$!! :)

We just wanted to have a party with you guys. We wanted to celebrate SWA's "Lowering of the Bar".

Thanks guys for the great party. Now its over.

you know what, there is just no point in arguing, all bow to the mighty russian who is most informed of this volatile industry that is impossible to predict.

In fact, here is my prediction:
1. fuel will go up, then down
2. carriers will go in bankruptcy, then out or gone
3. ticket prices will go up, maybe a lil down.
4. Wages will go up and down
5. folks on here will never stop bashing each other
6. blah blah blah
7. blah blah blah

there, now i feel like i fit on here :D

Last edited:
But it doesn't matter because my aunt tried to get a $49 fare to visit us in DTW on SWA, but they were all sold out within 5 min of the deal being issused back in september. Now that SWA has broken even on those flights, they have reopened the $49 seats.

This is new to you? Have you ever heard of yield management? The availability of $49 seats is ever changing, and based on loads and revenue will change right up until the time of departure. With loads running 91-104% on Northwest today, I hardly see the reasoning behind a $77 fare on Northwest to PHX. But Northwest management can't be wrong, I see how well they have done so far. :rolleyes:

This is new to you? Have you ever heard of yield management? The availability of $49 seats is ever changing, and based on loads and revenue will change right up until the time of departure. With loads running 91-104% on Northwest today, I hardly see the reasoning behind a $77 fare on Northwest to PHX. But Northwest management can't be wrong, I see how well they have done so far. :rolleyes:
NWA doesn't make any money off it's domestic product usually.

NWA doesn't make any money off it's domestic product usually.

Well if I were working at an airline that is charging 75% less than Southwest, and I was working for 40% less pay, I'd have to question that logic.

Latest resources

Back