• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Southwest/ATA Plan WOW....

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Ok, without looking, I'm gonna guess they were bought to eliminate competition. Let me know if I'm wrong.

Folks, SWA is going to do what is in the best interest for SWA shareholders. THAT, my friends, comes FIRST, and is undisputed.

SWA will get what it wants for what it wants to pay, in order to reach the above goal. Or, they will walk.

Public comments by SWA about this and that, are nothing more than 'forward looking statements'. It is ALL SUBJECT TO CHANGE.

As far as employees go, SWA will take ONLY the minimum number required to execute it's business plan. Of which only a glimmer has been divuldged. SWA will require that as part of the deal. This will force ATA to layoff those employess that are not needed, insuring that ATA will have to assume the costs associated with these layoffs.

This is "standard aquisition stuff" boys and girls.

This is NOT to say that SWA will not subsequently lay off after the deal, but they will not likely bring on folks in order to get rid of them.

This is how it works folks. Companies with 'cash in hand' have leverage beyond belief.

Survival of the fitest, and I'm all for it.

PHXFLYR said:
To all you ATA guys and gals out there who think the Southwest offer is the way to go, I have just 2 words to say.... TRANS STAR!!!! Anybody remember them ?

PHXFLYR:cool:

Ah, the ole TransStar issue surfaces yet again. I have flown with Ex TranStar Pilots that were hired here at SWA after the fact and was told that the TranStar Pilots were as much as fault with there demise as SWA was. They wanted instant raises to SWA pay scales and made threatening remarks to the hand that was currently feeding them as well as union (ALPA) issues. They were told it would come in time but that wasnt good enough. Herb is a true man of his word but they wouldnt listen so he shut the whole operation down rather than deal with the problems that were starting. So PHXFLYR if you have any other revelations that you would like to share with us about the TranStar deal please do!

I assume Gary was well groomed by his predecesors and I see alot of Herb in him. SWA is fair, ask most of the Morris Pilots. (sorry you always have your 5 percent whiners!)

I worked for Midway Airlines until they went out of business in November of 1991. At the time Northwest and Southwest were also bidding in the bankrupcy courts for the gates/assets or lack there of, of Midway Airlines. Northwest was going to take the whole operation intact and Southwest only wanted to offer interviews. You can guess who everybody sided with! Low and Behold Northwest pulls out of the deal and we cease operations 3 days later. Now in the process Southwest got snubbed pretty bad, people even yelling in the court procendings etc. After Northwest pulled out of the deal at the last minute SWA made an exchange of old DC-9's that SWA had from the TranStar deal that were parked out in ELP for the gates that Northwest now had (due to money paid making Midways payroll for the last few months while the deal was being worked out) at Midway but didnt want anymore.

So what did SWA do after this? They offered an interview to every Midway Airlines employee that wanted to attend. This was done one month after we ceased operations in December of 1991. This was done by SWA and didnt have to be. It was done first class at the Palmer House downtown Chicago. Alot of ground employees were hired immediately out of the interview. Other higher positions were filled in time as planes came on board. SWA hired more Ex Midway Pilots than all the other ALPA airlines combined! So theres where doing the right thing in my mind comes in. I think SWA will protect its investments but will also do the right thing for the ATA folks. I know from my time with SWA that ATA has always been held in very high reguard with our management. YMMV.

I know as a pilot at SWA that I consider ATA pilots as fellow brothers.
I look at them with a little more luv than other fellow airline type dudes. that's all I've got to say about that.

Thank you, gentlemen. I wasn't trying to stir up trouble, just was wanting to know.

I'm interested in seeing this thing play out. It's a MUCH better offer IMHO than the Airtran deal. Of course, George gets the hammer, but hey, it's business.

Latest resources

Back