• Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Hoke

Seriously though...

US cuts service at PIT and WN responds.
UA cuts service at DEN and WN responds.
DL to cut service at ATL.....

I smell MIA aswell.

FYI, I just got back from training in Dallas and some of the news we were told, I could't believe. Quote "the days of the Norfolks are over"..."customers want convenience and are no longer prepared to drive to a secondary airport when a major is in their backyard"..."BWI, most likely a mistake. Independence is killing us at IAD"... "PVD/MHT same thing, pax want convenience and they have it with JetBlue at BOS"

Times are changing and thankfully,thankfully we have a solid management and a solid company with which to face the challenges ahead.

Hoke said:
Seriously though...

I smell MIA aswell.

FYI, I just got back from training in Dallas and some of the news we were told, I could't believe. Quote "the days of the Norfolks are over"..."customers want convenience and are no longer prepared to drive to a secondary airport when a major is in their backyard"..."BWI, most likely a mistake. Independence is killing us at IAD"... "PVD/MHT same thing, pax want convenience and they have it with JetBlue at BOS"

Times are changing and thankfully,thankfully we have a solid management and a solid company with which to face the challenges ahead.

Independence isn't killing us at IAD. They have fares that United has matched so IAD is taking 7% from BWI. That is straight from GK not someone's brother's former barber's ex-roommate who is a senior captain at SWA who knows nothing.

At 20 cents per share we aren't going to have to worry about independence very soon. United will jack up fares and there are plenty of customers who prefer BWI over IAD.

SWAPoolie said:
Independence isn't killing us at IAD. They have fares that United has matched so IAD is taking 7% from BWI. That is straight from GK not someone's brother's former barber's ex-roommate who is a senior captain at SWA who knows nothing.

At 20 cents per share we aren't going to have to worry about independence very soon. United will jack up fares and there are plenty of customers who prefer BWI over IAD.

Glad that you can be so happy about the misery of others, clown. Yours is coming Mr. highest paid 73 pilots in the industry.

SWAPoolie said:
At 20 cents per share we aren't going to have to worry about independence very soon.

WOW! What a Jerk :(. Havent u learned! We are all vulnerable and an attitude like yours will likely sicken your beloved airline with BAD KARMA.

So nieve---------->So ARROGANT!

cya

Hoke said:
Seriously though...

I smell MIA aswell.

Who said we are cutting service at ATL? We are adding service. (INTL---to TLV, CPH, ATH, VCE, and NCE) And I don't see us letting up on any ATL gates. We are cutting some back at CVG, though. You can have it.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Easy there "SWA Poolie" . These are just the facts of doing business in todays environment and I have utmost faith in GK et al, as do you. However, let's not wish bad on or wish death upon our competitors, as after all, these guys are also in the business of making money as are we, and we are darn lucky to be where we are but so were are bros & sis's at UA 5 years ago. So we shouldn't forget that, and I believe our first step is to lose this "we're invincible" attitude!

Last edited:
To everyone.... I used to work there and wish the best for all my former co-workers but the fact is the management there has their heads up their asses. They won't be around for long and, as most pilots seem to have, your negativity exudes from your interpretation of my post not the actual words. My forecast of independence's future doesn't reflect anything but an educated opinion from inside information. Additionally, I never projected an "invincible" attitude of SWA. Merely stating facts about my former company as quoted by GK and not some second hand hearsay. Your assumption of me hoping for others to fail is idiotic and unsubstantiated. As usual, people on this board assume the worst. I guess it reflects the industry as a whole.

Last edited:
As a former ACA/FlyI guy I can say that I hear more doom and gloom from my buddies there than anyone on the outside. I hope all of my friends from my first airline, the one that got me to SWA, can continue with gainful employment- Except for one management guy who tried to cancel my honeymoon two days before my wedding! Fly it and grieve it my butt!

Hoke said:

The future is never clear with these things. When gates were harder to get at some airports, a secondary, less congested airport is touted as the best thing since sliced bread because SWA could get 4 or more gates there. Why would you spin your gameplan negatively??

When gates are open at BOS, the big dig is finished, and other costs/conveniences align, that suddenly is the airport to be at per the model. Especially with a cheap, quality operator like JetBlue challenging there.

I agree the Norfolks are, for now, over. But, thankfully, there are new found opportunities at airports that were previously unavailable.

Latest resources

Back