Southwest and flying in the Reserves/Guard

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Jakejett

How does Southwest feel towards hiring a military pilot who flies part time in the Reserves/Guard? Is that a negative or neutral?

Thanks.

Southwest loves military guys. Especially the retired ones. I know some folks that are guard and reserve that fly there. They say it's great because when your on probation you can just mil leave the trips you don't like and then pick up open time at time and a half.

How does Southwest feel towards hiring a military pilot who flies part time in the Reserves/Guard? Is that a negative or neutral?

Thanks.

If you can say "sh!t hot", "4 ship" or "back at the academy" you'll have no problem.

Seriously we've got I'd guess 100's of guard dudes. It's not a problem.

Gup

Southwest loves military guys. Especially the retired ones. I know some folks that are guard and reserve that fly there. They say it's great because when your on probation you can just mil leave the trips you don't like and then pick up open time at time and a half.

2nd year pay, actually. FWIW.

Sorry. Whatever it is, mil guys can totally hook themselves up!

BTW, I heard that SWA is going to cut thier schedule another 13 flights in May. Is that on top of the January cuts? Good luck poolies. Looks like the water just got deeper.

Last edited:
I doubt they consider it at all in hiring as they've become much more proactive about fully complying with USERRA over the last couple years.

There used to be a few assistant chief pilots that gave probationary pilots a hard time about their military drop, but they seem to have solved that issue by having one person in Dallas deal with military issues instead of all the various asst CP's.

How does it work that you can drop your schedule and pickup trips at time and a half? Is this correct?

Close. You pick up trips at 2nd year pay. Its more than time and a half at first year.

How does it work that you can drop your schedule and pickup trips at time and a half? Is this correct?

Dropping trips for mil leave and then picking up open time for 2nd year rates could be considered an abuse of the system. If you are legitimately flying mil leave, then yes you can drop your trip. If you are then off of mil leave and have some free days on your schedule, then you can pick up open time for those days at 2yr rates. Regardless, guard/reservists should always try to bid around their mil schedules when possible.

Latest resources

Back