• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Southwest Airlines

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I don't want to get into a war of not preping at all. This is not what I'm trying to say. Did I prepare for the interview. I sure did. I just didn't need to spend $350 bones to do it. You are so right about spending 8000 on a type what is another 350 in the pot? For those out there that want the job at SW I am just saying that the prep is not absolutly necessary like some like to think. If you need that piece of mind and say that I did the prep, great. Just don't answer "yes I did the prep" in the interview because it will be looked down upon, if the interviewer hasn't already figured it out already. Like I said in my first post, talk to your significant other, friends or video tape yourself is a great idea and think of all your flying experiences, especially the rough ones where you really showed how you handled yourself in the fire.

I am glad you got your dream job, or at least are swimming in the pool of your dream job, but get your facts straight. Buy the the type, don't buy the type, you can still interview, but lets get back to the question. This thread is titled "Southwest Airlines" not "sitting in the ready room between cones adjusting my ascot". The question came up about prep, at FedEx it may have helped immeasurably, but at Southwest I don't think it will as much. Every airline has its own personality during the interview phase, you must know this. Southwest is very straightforward in this regard, ask the PD, ask your buds who fly here, whatever. If you disagree, once again, good for you, but since you probably didn't interview here, don't want to interview here, and don't have much firsthand intel on the interview here, I stand by my comments.

pedropcola said:
I am glad you got your dream job, or at least are swimming in the pool of your dream job, but get your facts straight. Buy the the type, don't buy the type, you can still interview, but lets get back to the question. This thread is titled "Southwest Airlines" not "sitting in the ready room between cones adjusting my ascot". The question came up about prep, at FedEx it may have helped immeasurably, but at Southwest I don't think it will as much. Every airline has its own personality during the interview phase, you must know this. Southwest is very straightforward in this regard, ask the PD, ask your buds who fly here, whatever. If you disagree, once again, good for you, but since you probably didn't interview here, don't want to interview here, and don't have much firsthand intel on the interview here, I stand by my comments.
Maybe I'm a little slow, or maybe it's a Navy joke, but I didn't quite get the "sitting in the ready room between cones adjusting my ascot" comment.

Secondly, maybe you're a statistics guy. Check the success rate percentages of EmeraldCoast interview prep vs. the rest of the field (at SWA). Stats don't lie. (And, once again, I have zero ties to EmeraldCoast)

I agree that there are some people that need interview prep and some people that do not need it. I have several clients that I do not even suggest interview prep to, as I know they will do fine in the interview. Other clients just need a little polishing of their answers. I have yet to encounter anyone in aviation that is a complete lost cause. If someone is getting interview prep and sounding like a robot, then I sincerely wonder who is doing their interview prep.

Interview prep is not about "fooling" the interviewers. It is about telling your own story, in a succinct, yet understandable manner, avoiding comments that will get you backed into a corner. It is also about understanding how your answers will be viewed by the people sitting on the other side of the table - a side of the table I sat on for six years at two different companies.

SWA hires for many things, including judgment, leadership, teamwork, etc. Their system is copyrighted specifically to their culture and mission. They want to know if you are going to fit into their culture. Not every person has every quality for SWA, and anything you learn from prep can be used at virtually any other company, as about 98% of major corporations (inside and outside of aviation) conduct behavioral-based interviewing.

I interact with Human Resource and Recruiting professionals on a consistent basis. I do this so I can keep a pulse on the hiring process. I learn on a continual basis - even after being in the employment consulting business for almost 19 years.

If you prep with a spouse or significant other, that is helpful, however, unless they are trained in interviewing techniques or the relationship is strong enough to survive criticism, I would be careful. Find a friend or family member that conducts interviewing and prep with them instead.

Be careful about video taping your interview prep (professional or otherwise). It depends on the kind of person you are - will you be constantly obsessing during the interview about your personal quirks, or will you be cognitively aware of them. Know who you are as a person and make your decision from there.

There are plenty of people on this board that do a fine job with interview prep. If you choose to prep, find someone who is reputable and knows how the process works.

Just my opinions on the topic...:)

When you got to Higher Power, you will meet a lady named Judy Tarver.

Is Judy the lady who used to work at HQ and then went to inflight? If so, I know her. Actually flew one of my last FA trips with her. Do you have a contact for her? Thanks 265.

Latest resources

Back