• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Southwest Airlines

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I have to agree completely with Phoenix rising. Looking back at the guys who did and didn't get hired there tons of similarities and very few differences. All my buds were mil and met the mins easily, all good guys, could tell stories without cussing (on occasion!), and should have been hired. My very informal monday morning quarterbacking always came back to one thing and one thing only though. The guys who prepped and who by their own admission had a story for everything got nixed. I think it is real simple, they are trying to get to know you in 15 minutes. If you are prepped, and yes it does show, they can't tell if its you or the preparation coming out. They have plenty of others to choose from so they don't take the chance on that guy. Of course it goes without saying that if you do the professional prep and keep what I'm saying in mind and sound professional but not overly prepped it will probably work. Most of my friends who got hired stumbled here or there and didn't come out of the interview saying "Oh yeah, I nailed that". Practice some questions, I'm not saying not to, but err on the side of not overdoing it. If they get the inkling that you are answering this question for the tenth time, I believe they will move on to the next guy, because they can't risk that you are an a** who just practiced your responses till you don't sound like an a**. Oh well, good luck either way.

-------------------
Looking back at the guys who did and didn't get hired there tons of similarities and very few differences. All my buds were mil and met the mins easily, all good guys, ....
-------------------

It's all a matter of perspective. Civvys think SWA isn't hiring civvys and military guys think military guys aren't being hired. The fact is that there a lot of military and civilian pilots applying and they all can't get hired. If you are a military guy, all your friends are military so all you hear about is military guys getting turned down and few hired. Same thing goes for a civilian guy. The fact is, it's happening to boith groups due to the numbers of applicants. Perspective comes from your circle of buddies and it isn't an accurate barometer.

A hundred grerat guys might interview in one month, but if SWA only needs 20, some good guys are inevitably are going to get turned down. They didn't necessarily do something wrong in the interview.

I will also agree with Phoenix rising in that looking through your history in your logbook should give an answer to most of the questions asked in the interview. Not all the questions though, I asked for another question for one that I did not have an answer for and it was no problem in getting another.

He also suggested going over your stories with your significant other and that is a great idea and to take it one step further, having your wife or whoever video tape you both as a mock interview is a great tool. You can gain a LOT of info by watching yourself on tape. I hated watching myself back on tape but I learned a lot form it...

You can find the answers to these question and more:
Did I smile enough?
Did you look at your interviewer in the eyes?
When asked a question, did you try and find the answer on the ceiling or the floor?
How many times did I say Uh or Umm???

It’s free and I found this method to be extremely helpful for myself and am currently in the pool waiting for a class...

I spoke with another pilot at my company who interviewed recently and did use a prep course, unfortunately he did not get hired but did receive his $350 prep course fee back... Not bad having a money back guarantee...

To each his own I guess and what ever works for you in the end is what you feel comfortable with and that's what really matters is feeling comfortable at the interview.

Good luck to all...

Anyone who says doing interview prep will hurt you is smokin' crack! You tell me of anything else in life in which preparation is detrimental. So, it's better to say "ida know" to a question then to have a well thought out example that relays your experience in an easy to follow way? Plenty of guys get jobs without interview prep, no doubt. But, if you listen and absorb the lessons a well qualified interview coach is teaching, IT WILL HELP you and your chances!!!!

phoenix rising said:
I have not posted on here before but I see a lot of you guys trying to get on with SW and others pushing the interview prep. I interviewed with SW and did not do the prep and got the job. I was glad I did not do the prep. In the HR interview she asked me if I did any interview prep. I said no but why do you ask? She said the people that are doing the prep are not getting hired because they sound like robots. They can even tell who is preping them. My advise to all that want the job is look at your log book and think of stories of your flying career. When you have your stories talk with your significant other and talk out your story. This is the best prep you can do. It is natural and from you not someone you paid to help you. There is so much gouge out there on the internet on SW that you can find the typical questions that they ask in the interview. You have to be yourself and be enthusiastic. Show why you love SW and why you are the best person for the job. Just my 2 cents

Sorry but I not buying this. For an HR person in the interview process to relay information like this to someone who hasn't even been hired yet just doesn't pass the "sniff test". And the second thing that doesn't smell right is asking an HR person "why" they are asking a particular question in an interview. The numbers show plenty of guys get hired that did do interview prep... plenty! I just wonder, had you not been hired would you have second guessed yourself for not taking every opportunity to better prepare yourself for the interview. I know a lot of guys who did just that after they tubed the interview! Sorry Mr. 1 post rise... I think your story just doesn't pass the truth test.:bomb:

Mach 80 said:
-------------------
Looking back at the guys who did and didn't get hired there tons of similarities and very few differences. All my buds were mil and met the mins easily, all good guys, ....
-------------------

It's all a matter of perspective. Civvys think SWA isn't hiring civvys and military guys think military guys aren't being hired. The fact is that there a lot of military and civilian pilots applying and they all can't get hired. If you are a military guy, all your friends are military so all you hear about is military guys getting turned down and few hired. Same thing goes for a civilian guy. The fact is, it's happening to boith groups due to the numbers of applicants. Perspective comes from your circle of buddies and it isn't an accurate barometer.

A hundred grerat guys might interview in one month, but if SWA only needs 20, some good guys are inevitably are going to get turned down. They didn't necessarily do something wrong in the interview.
uh oh! You used logic...and you're right....they're gonna tar and feather you around here for that.:)

Jethrof15 I was just saying that a lot of people are pushing this prep thing and it is not necessary. Now if your not sure of yourself and think that you need someone to help you organize your thoughts, more power to you. I know there are interview prep people on this board trying to sell their services and that is fine. I just wanted to say that pilots do get hired at SW or any other place for that matter without using the prep. Whether you believe me about the question of "did you use a prep for this interview" is up to you but ask yourself what would be my motive. I interviewed in dec 05 and got that question. I also know 2 pilots from my airline that interviewed in feb and also got that question. Those 2 pilots did not get the job and they did not do the prep. Do they regret not doing the prep, they said no to me. I know when I walked out of the interview I said to myself that I have no regrets about what I said and how I came off. If I didn't get hired I did my best. I knew going into the interview that only 30% approximatly get hired who interview. It is a total gamble with not very good odds. I am very very fortunate to be hired and I wish the best for all that are trying to get hired. Prep or no prep

phoenix rising,

Do you prep for a checkride? I'll bet you do. Can you pass a checkride without preparing? Sure you can. Are you doing everything you can to ensure your chances of passing a checkride by preparing? YES YOU ARE.

To anyone with any sense, this same logic applies to prepping for an interview!

Malter1 I have to completely disagree with you. This isn't a check ride, it isn't a stan check, NATOPS ride, or whatever. If you are being interviewed then you meet the minimum requirements to pass on to the next step. But, and this is a big but, if you come to the interview and sound anything other than natural, I think that they will take the big pass on you. Not because you're not qualified but because they didn't get out of the interview what they wanted and that is very simply put, who are you really (or as close a facsimile as I can get in 15 minutes). Prep by all means, but if you give some guy 350 bones to prep you, you are probably wasting money for your SW interview. If it makes you feel better do it, but don't talk guys into it by comparing it to an annual ride. Practice questions with the wife with your buds but don't overdo it and don't think that paying for interview prep is required or even necessarily a good idea.

pedropcola said:
Malter1 I have to completely disagree with you. This isn't a check ride, it isn't a stan check, NATOPS ride, or whatever. If you are being interviewed then you meet the minimum requirements to pass on to the next step. But, and this is a big but, if you come to the interview and sound anything other than natural, I think that they will take the big pass on you. Not because you're not qualified but because they didn't get out of the interview what they wanted and that is very simply put, who are you really (or as close a facsimile as I can get in 15 minutes). Prep by all means, but if you give some guy 350 bones to prep you, you are probably wasting money for your SW interview. If it makes you feel better do it, but don't talk guys into it by comparing it to an annual ride. Practice questions with the wife with your buds but don't overdo it and don't think that paying for interview prep is required or even necessarily a good idea.
I think you have a strange idea of exactly what interview prep is. I did interview prep, it helped me immeasurably, and I landed my dream job partially because of it. Part of what interview prep does is to help you take a raw story and clean it up so it sounds logical, is easy to listen to, and is taylored to the audience that receives it. If you sound like a "robot" when you tell a story, interview prep will give you training in how to not sound like a robot.

And, I can't even believe you brought up money for interview prep! Don't you fly for an airline that requires you to invest $8,000 for a 20% shot even after you get the call for an interview? What is $350 if it can potentially move you up a notch over just one guy. It could mean the difference between wasting 8 grand and 8 grand being an investment in your future!

Latest resources

Back