Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Southwest Airlines to revamp its interiors (and add six seats)

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

c9skytrain

UPDATED: How can you crowd more passengers onto an airplane without making your passengers more crowded?
That's what Southwest Airlines says it can do with new, thinner seats that it will install on all its Boeing 737-700s, plus the 737-700 and 717-200s that it is adding through the AirTran Airways merger.
As part of the new interior, Southwest will add a row of seats, raising the maximum passenger load on its Boeing 737-700s from 137 seats to 143 seats (a 4.4 percent increase in capacity without adding an airplane).
The new seating will be installed between March 2012 and mid-year 2013, as well as carpet tiles rather than regular carpet.
The thinner seats allow Southwest to add a row without cutting back on the passengers' personal space, including knee and leg room. Southwest officials says the new seats actually add about two cubic feet of "personal space" for each passenger.
It'll cost Southwest about $60 million to retrofit its existing fleet of 372 Being 737-700s.. It would have cost $110 million, but the seats chosen by Southwest will fit on the existing seat frames, saving $50 million.
Because the AirTran aircraft must have their interiors replaced, Southwest won't be reusing those airplanes' seat frames.
But what about the Boeing 737-300s and 737-500s currently in Southwest's fleet? Bob Jordan, executive vice president, said the 737-500s are too close to the end of their time at Southwest to justify refitting.
As for the 737-300s, of which Southwest was flying 165 as of Sept. 30, Southwest will just have to see if it wants to modify those aircraft, Jordan and Brian Hirshman, Southwest's senior vice president of technical operations, said.
As to the Boeing sky interior for future airplanes, the current fleet isn't being retrofitted to that look.

I guess they are keeping the 717s for a while if they are getting updated and some -300s and all -500 aren't.

I just hope that the seats will be leather and with with a good amount of padding. The current SWA seats I find to be very comfortable.

Ah yes. Growth without growth. All too familiar with that concept.

SWA is going to get as lean and mean as they can before adding additional airframes to the fleet. This much is evident on several fronts, and backed up with press releases and presentations. But I agree with DonV, that they should still protect the quality of the product with all of these changes. We were transitioning to the thin seats at AirTran. They don't look nearly as robust as SWA's current seat, which I agree, is a really nice coach class seat.

Ah yes. Growth without growth. All too familiar with that concept.

10+ years ago at the Airtran interview JN was giving the interview group a company overview as the first part of the interview. She kept making statements about "growth" but the information we had at the time showed the DC-9's being replaced 1 for 1 by the 717.

Of course as pilots and potential new hires a huge issue is "growth" when your going to be at the bottom - especially pre 9-11 when age 60 was still 8+ years off. Needless to say every time JN mentioned the "g" word I could see several interviewees shooting glances at each other while trying to maintain their/our best interview etiquette.

Finally an ACA guy piped up and asked about this "growth". The response was that the "growth" was due to the 717 having 5 (cant' remember the exact number) more seats than the DC-9.

I can still remember the look on the CC Air guys face sitting across the table from me after that answer was given.

Looking back now I see that eating that small amount of corp. BS pales in comparison to the larger and steamier piles of corp. poop I (and the rest of us) have had to swallow in the 10+ years since. Eat up boys.

...and why is it that I can remember this stuff from a decade ago like an elephant but I can't go to dinner for an hour and remember my hotel room number when I come back?

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back