• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Southwest Airlines Reports Loss

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Don't forget...having to pay/get your 737 type to get hired too.

I just went on airline pilot central and compared the pay rates, monthly guarantee, and upgrade times of multiple airlines with SWA (minus the cost of a 737 type rating) and had a revelation.

You will never be my financial advisor.

Even Gary is not looking forward to Jan.

Last fall Gary Kelly told me to my face that he was very worried about Q1 2008 and didn't expect to grow in 2008. We hired 500 this year.

With fuel in the $60's I will be SHOCKED if we see the negative ASM growth that Gary is talking about today.

I'm just sayin'...........

Gup

It is funny when people talk about a level/fair playing field. It's like you challenged a 300 lb. lineman to an a$$kicking contest and after your pounding you protested the contest wasn't fair because the lineman was stronger than you.

Southwest has been a leader in minimizing costs and controlling its balance sheet so that it can, if an opportunity arises, take advantage of opportunities like a hedging program. It's no different than AA or any other legacy partnering with credit card companies for mileage and loyalty programs. We just capitalized on our financial health. Sorry if that upsets you.

I agree with most of your post. I hope that your response wasn't geared toward me somewhat. What I'm saying is that if SWA posted a paper loss it is to be blamed solely on the volitility of the market and the weakening economy as a whole....no ifs or buts.

SWA marches to its own tune. It is a trend setter in most markets, not a follower. It has maintained pricing power for several years now, pretty much unchallenged. So to hear someone echo the notion that it might have something to do with how pilots are paid at other airlines is rediculous to say the least.

Most of those other airlines don't have 6 billion in the bank. Argueably, most of those other airlines don't have the innovative, proactive, employee friendly managent that LUV enjoys. For those that don't believe that this is advantagous, then I have some beachfront property for sale in Afghanistan if you're interested.

Regardless, true loss or accounting loss, SWA has none to blame but the economy and to some degree itself for its success or otherwise.

Latest resources

Back