Southwest Airlines forced to ground 128 Boeing 737 airplanes for inspections

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

HowardBorden

Southwest Airlines confirmed Tuesday evening that it grounded 128 of its Boeing 737-700 aircraft that day after it discovered that the airplanes had not received required inspections.
Southwest spokeswoman Brandy King said the carrier has canceled about 90 flights as a result.
Here's her complete statement:
Earlier today, we discovered an overdue maintenance check required to be performed on the standby hydraulic system, which serves as a back-up to the primary hydraulic systems.
Southwest inadvertently omitted the lowest of three intervals for the maintenance check, it was a conservative interval that was established within Southwest's FAA-approved maintenance program. As a result of this discovery, 128 -700 aircraft were identified as having overflown the required check.
Once identified, we immediately grounded the affected aircraft, initiated maintenance checks, disclosed the matter to the FAA, and developed an action plan to complete all overdue checks. Approximately 90 cancellations have occurred.
This was not an Airworthiness Directive. Of course, the Safety of our Employees and Customers remains our highest priority and we are working to resolve this matter swiftly.
Southwest Airlines has clashed several times with the FAA over maintenance issues. Last July, the agency proposed a $12 million fine over three separate issues. Southwest has challenged the fine in federal court.

http://aviationblog.dallasnews.com/...s-forced-to-ground-a-bunch-of-airplanes.html/

Any Spirit Warriors want to remind me how consecutive profitable quarters you've had?

(Hook in water....I see em down there, they look like they are biting)

Any Spirit Warriors want to remind me how consecutive profitable quarters you've had?

You can Google it if you are so lazy you ask on an internet forum. Hook in water? That goes great with your Submarine costume.:laugh:

They are grounding less than 20% of the fleet for 24 hours. I bet they still easily pull out a profit this qtr. especially with fuel as cheap as it is right now. Plus you know 5% of the 700 fleet was already down for scheduled mtx. It's a 2 hour inspection so many of the airplanes will be back up for the morning push. I'll bet let than 10% of there flights system wide CX today. SW brought this to the FAA's attention. Do you not think there was a little risk management planning done to minimize damage before this was done. Most affected PAX will probably be delayed for less than 6 hours I would bet.

Well, you take the number of Delta consecutive profitable quarters and multiply it by........no, that won't work because anything multiplied by zero has a product of zero. Sorry Bill, you'll need to look it up.

Fish on!!

You clowns are so easy to spool up.....I could effin care less how many profitable quarters you had (but you'll tell us all I'm sure) but maybe spending a little on MX is necessary.

Who's fishing? Facts are everywhere: couple of Air cowboys, I mean SW pilots park a plane near a gas station (great poster), overran the runway because tailwind landings in winter conditions are fun (yuuuu peeeeee), prove that you can't make nose wheel landings (SW pilots don't go around) and KILL a kid (that's right 2nd degree man slaughter). Sorry I mite be off a bit but the Air Cowboys fits perfect. Maintenance just wants to joint in...

Last edited:
Who's fishing? Facts are everywhere: couple of Air cowboys, I mean SW pilots park a plane near a gas station (great poster), overran the runway because tailwind landings in winter conditions are fun (yuuuu peeeeee), prove that you can't make nose wheel landings (SW pilots don't go around) and KILL a kid (that's right 2nd degree man slaughter). Sorry I mite be off a bit but the Air Cowboys fits perfect. Maintenance just wants to joint in...
Actually, the FACTS support that Southwest is the second safest major airline in America. But of course the FACTS don't support your narrative so I'm sure you will ignore them.

Safety Ranking 2014

# 1 AIR NEW ZEALAND NZ Index 0,007
# 2 CATHAY PACIFIC AIRWAYS CX, CPA Index 0,008
# 3 FINNAIR AY, FIN Index 0,010
# 4 EMIRATES EK, UAE Index 0,010
# 5 EVA AIR BR, EVA Index 0,010
# 6 BRITISH AIRWAYS BA, BAW Index 0,011
# 7 TAP PORTUGAL TP, TAP Index 0,012
# 8 ETIHAD AIRWAYS EY, ETD Index 0,012
# 9 AIR CANADA AC, ACA Index 0,012
# 10 QANTAS QF, QFA Index 0,013
# 11 QATAR AIRWAYS QR, QTR Index 0,013
# 12 ALL NIPPON AIRWAYS NH, ANA Index 0,015
# 13 VIRGIN ATLANTIC AIRWAYS VS, VIR Index 0,015
# 14 HAINAN AIRLINES HU, CHH Index 0,015
# 15 VIRGIN AUSTRALIA DJ, VOZ Index 0,015
# 16 JETBLUE AIRWAYS B6, JBU Index 0,015
# 17 KLM KL, KLM Index 0,015
# 18 LUFTHANSA LH, DLH Index 0,016
# 19 SHENZHEN AIRLINES ZH, CSZ Index 0,018
# 20 EASYJET U2, EZY Index 0,018
# 21 THOMAS COOK AIRLINES MT, TCX Index 0,023
# 22 WESTJET WS, WJA Index 0,026
# 23 TRANSAERO AIRLINES UN, TSO Index 0,027
--# 24 SOUTHWEST AIRLINES WN, SWA Index 0,028--
# 25 JETSTAR AIRWAYS JQ, JST Index 0,030
# 26 AIR BERLIN AB, BER Index 0,034
# 27 DELTA AIR LINES DL, DAL Index 0,038
# 28 THOMSON AIRWAYS BY, TOM Index 0,046
# 29 CONDOR DE, CFG Index 0,050
# 30 SINGAPORE AIRLINES SQ, SIA Index 0,052
# 31 UNITED AIRLINES UA, UAL Index 0,057
# 32 SWISS LX, SWR Index 0,064
# 33 RYANAIR FR, RYR Index 0,066
# 34 MALAYSIA AIRLINES MH, MAS Index 0,072
# 35 JET AIRWAYS 9W, JAI Index 0,078
# 36 CHINA EASTERN AIRLINES MU, CES Index 0,082
# 37 AEROFLOT SU, AFL Index 0,103
# 38 ALITALIA AZ, AZA Index 0,121
# 39 LAN AIRLINES LA, LAN Index 0,127
# 40 AIR FRANCE AF, AFR Index 0,141
# 41 AMERICAN AIRLINES AA, AAL Index 0,145
# 42 AIR CHINA CA, CCA Index 0,168
# 43 US AIRWAYS US, AWE Index 0,169
# 44 IBERIA IB, IBE Index 0,172
# 45 ALASKA AIRLINES AS, ASA Index 0,180

* Based on our annual safety calculations which include all hull loss accidents and serious incidents in the last 30 years of operations in relation to the revenue passsenger kilometers (RPK) performed in the same time. We also took into account the international safety benchmarks such as the IOSA Audit and the USOAP country factor. Furthermore we included a time weightening factor which increases the effect of recent accidents and weakening the impact of accidents in the past. All calculation data ends after a period of 30 years. Fatalities are only counted when they were on board a passenger flight. No ground casualties or 3rd party fatalities in other aircraft. All accidents that fulfills the above mentioned criteria were involved in our calculation, regardless of causes or responsibilities.

http://www.jacdec.de/safety-ranking-2014/

Latest resources

Back