Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Southwest Airlines' Executive Chairman Herb Kelleher Testifies at Senate Subcommittee

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Hamburgler said:
http://www.fwbusinesspress.com/display.php?id=208&search=Kelleher%20quotes

Very interesting article in its entirety, I think at the very least it shows that Herb didn't exactly get the wool pulled over his eyes and knows the issues that this presents - and at the time Wright was passed issued some statements to the effect that SWA was pleased with the outcome - as the alternative was them getting booted to DFW to compete with the then-current big guns. Wright was born out of community interests around Love Field and to support DFW - two claims which I think stand today.

More recently (11/05) from the Dallas Star-Telegram:
"Kelleher, who maintains that he accepted the Wright Amendment in 1979 to keep his airline together, has been leading the campaign to repeal the law that limits long-haul flying out of Love Field."
http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/business/13141291.htm

And to SWA's credit, look where they are today - I think SWA dodged a bullet back in the day, and maybe it's finally time for them to compete with everyone else at DFW.

Ok, I have my Kevlar body armor on...
'

"very interesting article in it's entirety"?????? Did you read it all? I started out with a Kevin Cox assertion, then proceeded to rebut said assertion for the next four paragraphs.

Next, accepting a situation is one hell of a long way away from agreeing to that situation.

Finally, words mean things. Read with a critical mind and you'll go far.

I do fine with critical reading, just because we don't come out on the same side doesn't mean that either of us have comprehension issues.

I was careful to say that what I posted did not prove Kelleher signed off on Wright, but the *stand alone* quotes do show a modicum of understanding (at the least!) of the other side of the issue on the part of SWA. (It also shows, there ARE two sides to everything and everyone is entitled to their opinion, even on Flight Info!! :)

Like Herb said in the hearings, he "accepted" the WA the same way the Germans "accepted" the end of World War One, i.e. with a gun to his head. To the extent that it didn't kill his airline, the WA was a compromise that he didn't have to oppose in order to survive, but that's a far, far cry from "a deal is a deal" and "agreeing" to never ever seek to have Congress relook the issue 25 years later!

The WA is a law, not a "deal," and a darned poor one at that. American opearating out of Love Field (when they came over to kill Legend) was a "deal." Delta operating a hub at DFW was a "deal." Circumstances change, and deals get renegotiated. Circumstances change, years pass, and laws get changed -- happens all the time. The WA got amended by Shelby, and now by Bond. Hopefully the next amendment will get rid of it entirely.

Set Love Free!

:-) said:
hey furloughed dude, SWA existed for about ten years before the WA came into being. The WA wasn't a part of the SWA business plan, it couldn't have been since it didn't exist when SWA was planned. SWA never asked for the WA, and it can be argued that the WA NEVER helped SWA. So why do you continue to try and spin the WA? I can be won over by a logical, well thought out, well presented argument; I'll never be persuaded by incorrect, unsubstantiated stuff like you write. Are you trying to make a point, or just being difficult?

The region never asked for DAL to stay open either, a lawyer did. A judge made a ruling on intrastate air travel for an airport that at the time making it a State issue. Times have changed, air commerce is now a Federal issue. Southwest is the one that didn't adapt. They should have been smacked 20+ years ago.

That do it for you???

sf260pilot said:
The people who are pro-Wright Amendment......DFW, Ft. Worth, etc. are using the argument that DFW airport will suffer from repeal, and that the cities had a deal back in 1968. They keep stating this but yet they do not make their case very well. They sound like a bunch of little kids who keep saying,"that's not fair".

Isn't that what happened to keep the DAL money pit open in the first place. Someone stomping like a little kid who kept saying "that's not fair", and is to this day others saying "that's not fair".

I don't buy the "we're the little guy BS" either anymore.

Last edited:
The "gun" to Herb's head was moving to DFW at a time when SWA arguably could not have played ball with the big boys. The "deal" allowed them to stay there and continue to grow, and I think everyone can agree that they made out on that front back in the day.

Hamburgler said:
The "deal" allowed them to stay there and continue to grow,

Please stop using this stupid statement. There are 2 things that happened to SWA at Love.

1. We were asked to leave Love and go over to DFW. We said no and it stood up in court numerous times. That is an incontestable argument, the courts gave us the right to fly out of Love, no "deal".

2. The Speaker of the House Jimbob Wright helped his buddies at AA by squashing the new open skies of deregulation by regulating an airport, Love. We had to stay a Texas and a few select state airline for many years to come. Had the WA not taken place and we could fly non-stop to MDW, LAS, LAX etc. out of Love, I agree SWA would be a different airline today. We would be much bigger.

And who are you, Lowecurs son?

haha, hardly! ;) I've just kept up with this issue and am the vocal minority apparently!

Your two points are fact and are not disputable.

But, Wright was put in place for a reason, to support DFW and the local economy that stems from the airport. While DFW has grown a ton and is now a major airport, it is still important to support that. In the hearings, didn't they talk about how cities with one major airport (Minneapolis) in fact get more traffic than cities like Chicago and Washington? There is something to be said for the economy of an airport/community having everyone in one spot.

Skyboss said:
. Southwest is the one that didn't adapt.

Riiiiiight.... too bad the facts don't back this hair brained opinions up AT ALL.

Hamburgler said:
There is something to be said for the economy of an airport/community having everyone in one spot.

Yes, if you are the dominant carrier at that airport. The traveling public does not see it your way however, but feel free to continue to take up oxygen on this planet. Whats your background again? Insurance.:puke:

Latest resources

Back