Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Southwest Airlines' Executive Chairman Herb Kelleher Testifies at Senate Subcommittee

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The people who are pro-Wright Amendment......DFW, Ft. Worth, etc. are using the argument that DFW airport will suffer from repeal, and that the cities had a deal back in 1968. They keep stating this but yet they do not make their case very well. They sound like a bunch of little kids who keep saying,"that's not fair". The way in which Jim Wright got this federal law amended with out any hearing is what was not fair. It is hard for me to have any sympathy for DFW airport and Ft. Worth, Their argument continues that Ft. Worth tore thier airport down. They had too, it was too close to DFW. The last time I checked Meacham was still in operation, and I don't recall anyone crying foul when Mesa started commercial service from Ft. Worth. The pro-Wright faction needs to do a better job of making their case. Herb and SWA have maintained that this is good for consumers not just them while everyone else including American is afraid that it will hur them. Almost as if they don't care one bit about airfares in the metroplex.

Last edited:
I have watched all three web presentations from the recent Hearings. (thanks Chase)

One point (of the many) I found compelling was Dr. Campbell’s testimony; (and I Para-phrase) - Why isn’t AA jumping up and down telling us “how bad” things are over at ORD/MDW and MIA/FLL, airport pairs where they already compete with WN!? This was a very good point!

The fact is, they, like WN, will enjoy greater customer demands; not less. (as the facts have shown) SF260Pilot said it best: AA needs to do a much better job at defending/presenting their (so-called) case.

The positive momentum continue to builds for WN; it is only a matter of time, before the Wright Admen. is totally repealed.

Editorial from New Hampshire Newspaper

An editorial from Southwest's friends in New Hamsphire...thanks from your friends in Dallas.

Granite Staters should be free to fly to Dallas​
The Union Leader November 10, 2005
Granite Staters should be free to fly to Dallas
By KEVIN DILLON

This morning at 10 the U.S. Senate Commerce, Science and Transportation Committee's Subcommittee on Aviation will conduct a hearing in Washington, D.C., to discuss the future of the Wright Amendment, an antiquated, restrictive and unnecessary anti-free trade law enacted by the federal government in 1979 that prohibits Southwest Airlines from providing flights beyond the four states surrounding Texas from its corporate headquarters at Love Field (DAL) in Dallas, Texas.

Many Southwest Airlines cities across the country are uniting in support of eliminating the Wright Amendment with the hopes of increasing convenient one-stop service opportunities for their air travelers and possibly the addition of new nonstop service to Dallas in the future. Manchester has joined the fight.

Wright is wrong, and here's why.

The Wright Amendment has served its purpose. When Dallas and Fort Worth, Texas, began planning to build a massive new airport, Dallas/Ft. Worth International Airport (DFW), there was great concern that airlines would be reluctant to leave the far more convenient Dallas Love Field (DAL) and move further away from the city to DFW. American Airlines finally agreed to move its operations to DFW in exchange for a federal law that prevented any airline from flying out of Dallas Love Field to anywhere outside the states bordering Texas.

Twenty-six years later, DFW has become the fourth busiest airport in the country, serving more than 56 million passengers a year. Employing the "secondary airport philosophy" that has made them (and Manchester Airport) so successful, Southwest doesn't operate out of DFW, but chooses to operate out of DAL to keep its costs (and costs to passengers) low.

The Wright Amendment restricts "free trade," is anti-competition and affects air service at Manchester Airport. Southwest Airlines is Manchester Airport's largest air carrier, offering 30 daily departures and providing service to more than 1.6 million passengers each year.

Unfortunately, Southwest is not permitted to offer non-stop, or even convenient one-stop, service to Dallas from Manchester Airport because of this antiquated, restrictive and unnecessary law. The airline isn't even allowed to advertise the availability of flights from DAL to destinations outside the scope of the federal law. Historically, Dallas is a very popular destination for New Hampshire air travelers and among our top destinations.

The aviation industry has changed dramatically in the past quarter century. Low cost airlines now carry over 30 percent of all commercial passengers in the United States. Bankruptcies, consolidations and mergers among the nation's airlines are increasing as they all fight for survival. It's time to level the playing field among all airlines and repeal this antiquated anti-competition, anti-free trade law. It's the "RIGHT" thing to do. Kevin Dillon is director of Manchester Airport.

Chase, I see what you're saying, sorry if my first post was confusing - I just meant that SWA has not met the fate of other airlines recently with bankruptcy, etc. on the contrary, it road this recession out with flying colors - so it's not like they're in a precarious position and couldn't go up against a big dog like they have at other hub airports...

The thing that really struck me about the hearing was the person who read stats on what opening up Love Field would do to the economy of DFW - something like 200 fewer flights a day, 10s of millions of dollars lost, it would basically set the airport back 20 years. That and the person who said competition between *airlines* is good for the consumer (cheap tickets, etc), competition between *airports* is not. I don't think people fully understand the economic ramifications repealing Wright would have on DFW and the surrounding area...

(Hope you all had a good weekend, I was off the grid, so I'm just coming back to this now! :)

Every one has a study that fits their agenda. As for DFW losing 200 flights a day. Herb said it best by showing stats at the other cities. AA said the same thing about the sky is faling when SWA started into Midway. They said the smaller markets would sufferr and they would have to pull service from them. What actually happened-- tremendous growth at both.

A deal is a deal defense is like Nanny Nanny Boo Boo. Nothing is in writing. And if a deal truly was a deal, why isn't Delta being held liable for all those gates they left. Make them come back -a deal is a deal. If these gates weren't opened it would be tough to defend AA's position. But I know it was a financial decision for Delta as it is for SWA and AA. So who can blame any of them.

We all can blame AA...

Hamburgler,

Thanks for the respectful reply....there are many sides to the issue. Dr Campbell (2nd panel, president of the company that did the study for SWA) addressed your concern & the "assumption" that Eclat uses as one of their basic economic assumptions; AA will move large number of flights over to Love.

As Dr Campbell stated, AA nor United took that approach in Chicago as MDW increased in size....MDW has less than 10 flts a day out of MDW & hundreds out of ORD....they haven't shifted flights to MDW & the consumer has saved money as fares at ORD have decreased....the same thing happened in MIA when FLL & PBI started to grow....flts in MIA increased (I believe) & fares have decreased....they are flying fro FLL but no wholesale shifting of assets, at least as far as Dr Campbell could see.

The threat to move aircraft is very different than actually doing it. I can't find the quote but I remember nearly one year ago when this battle began Arpey came out & made the comment that (I'm paraphrasing)...."We'll go to Love to compete, of course we'll lose money doing it but we 'have' to do it."
A rather revealing comment since they haven't done that in the past & he said at the time (again my apologies for not having the quote) that business decision would result in losing money...what leader would make a decision that knowingly loses money? He won't...he is too smart. AA can cmpete from AA & have lower fares & keep & even increase passengers.....can anyone say "Ft Worth"? These folks fly also....they make it sound like only Dallasites use airplanes....Ft Worth will benefit by having cheaper fares & yey they won't have to drive all the way to Dallas. There is no incentive for the carrier that controls 84% of the paxs out of DFW to lower fares....they will have it now if the WA goes away.

I respect your view & if job lose was inevitable, I"d be concerned....however, the other variable is the fact that other carriers maybe willing to come to DFW & compete....other LCC or regionals if AA closes the market....if there is money to be made on these smaller routes (Eagle does quite well...the best RASM of regionals out there) other carriers will fill that voide, no doubt...no one walks away from easy money.

Thanks again & I look forward to continued debate.

AA will want to change the Love Field Master Plan

Just wait, If the WA does go away I'll bet that either one of two things will happen.
1. AA does nothing and the Southwest effect is better than anticipated.
2. AA needs more flights at Love and tries to change the Master Plan.

There are only 7 or so gates at Love field that SWA does not have options on. (6 more at the old legend term on lemmon) The Airport is capped at so many flights per day....right now they are well below that number. If the WA is gone then SWA will ramp up their effort and fly many more flights from many more gates. It will take AA and Continental some time to set up shop. AA will not be able to "move a significant amount of flying" from DFW to Love Field without changing the Master Plan, which by the way IS a local issue. Gerard Arpey said it in the hearing many times, he doesn't want the WA to go away ever, and he commented on the master plan a couple of times because it would at that point limit competition at Love.

Hi all,

I feel like these arguments get rehashed about once a week! But, nice to see this one hasn't devolved into any tit for tat nonsense yet! ;)

I'm for DFW on this one, simply because I think SWA dodged a bullet back in the day when they, as a new intrastate carrier, didn't have to move to DFW. They know what they signed up for. Now we change the rules...why? Airlines moved to DFW because the community agreed that supporting one airport and its economy was most beneficial. All SWA has to do is take a pretty sweet deal from DFW (which has also become more effcient of late with longer runways, hold pads, etc), and it can keep running short haul from Love.

What I think is funny is that a majority of citizens, " want the Wright Amendment repealed" and a majority of citizens also "want SWA to fly out of DFW"... !

Hamburgler said:
Hi all,

I feel like these arguments get rehashed about once a week! But, nice to see this one hasn't devolved into any tit for tat nonsense yet! ;)

I'm for DFW on this one, simply because I think SWA dodged a bullet back in the day when they, as a new intrastate carrier, didn't have to move to DFW. They know what they signed up for. Now we change the rules...why? Airlines moved to DFW because the community agreed that supporting one airport and its economy was most beneficial. All SWA has to do is take a pretty sweet deal from DFW (which has also become more effcient of late with longer runways, hold pads, etc), and it can keep running short haul from Love.

What I think is funny is that a majority of citizens, " want the Wright Amendment repealed" and a majority of citizens also "want SWA to fly out of DFW"... !

So now you are going to get this thread about the hearings going back down the tit for tat road with your misguided view that SWA can not grow at their home base airport because of an outdated law which has helped DFW and AA grow beyond expectations.

Latest resources

Back